Riesling - where do I start?

I think I want to start collecting Riesling. I’ve had a few bottles over the years and really like it. Also, the more that I read, the more I’m interested in the diversity of the variety. I haven’t jumped into it thus far, as it’s difficult to source in Texas. I’m not into the super sweet kind, but love a complex, maybe lighter or mid-weight wine, with some petrol on the nose. There’s a lot of knowledge on this board - where do I start and what should I know?

In the same boat. Good topic and looking forward to reading the replies.

JJ Prum Spatlese

Which wines have you tried and enjoyed? That will be a good jumping off point for recommendations, rather than just a list of producers/wines that can be otherwise searched.

Scott, Pioneer Wines bring the Terry Thiese collection wines into Texas. The Houston rep Michael Landry can probably tell you where they are available in Dallas. I would start with some Kabinetts from some of the better known makers. Lots and lots of really good makers out there my favourites include; Selbach Oster, Donnhoff, F Haag, JJ Prum. The straight Donnhoff estate Riesling can be an amazing wine for the price ( approx $18 in Houston). If you Google Terry Thiese Catalog, you will be able to get are really solid introduction to a wide range of high quality Rieslings from Germany and Austria.

In Germany the nomenclature can be pretty confusing if you are not familiar with it. You need to do a bit of internet research on the various ripeness and dryness classification terms so you can navigate more easily.

As a general rule most Austrian Rieslings are fermented out to fairly low levels of RS and are dry. The Germans have a full range dry, semi-dry, gently sweet, sweet and very sweet.

For me they are; (1) excellent QPR (2) magnificent ageing abilities, (c) ideal in Texas climates and (d) perfect matches for spicy Asian food

cheers Brodie

Could do worse than starting out with trocken, Kabinetts and Spatleses from Leitz, JJ Prum and Donnhoff, none of which will break the bank.

Id suggest starting with the JJ Prum Kabinetts rather than Spatlese. You can usually find them at Whole Foods for around $20. Donhoff Estate is under $20 and also delicious.

My current favorite Rieslings are actually from Austria, but you may have trouble sourcing. Also, I’m less familiar with the entry level wines. That said, if you can find anything from Prager or Hirtzberger, try it.

I’m a fan of tasting around first among the significant regions, but I have to admit I have very little experience in Alsace. It doesn’t seem very popular among the riesling experts around here.

Kabinetts are probably what you are looking for if you want moderate sweetness; they are easier to pair with food. Petrol generally comes with age. I don’t think I’d go with JJ for immediate consumption as the sulpher when young can be off putting.

Yes those Sulphur dudes carrying surfboards are a real menace! [snort.gif]

I agree with you.

If you are interested in kabinett then look for Selbach-Oster, Zilliken and von Hovel. All three are fairly easy to come by, and none cost much in the grand scheme of things. Try to find 2012 wknes if you can. 2013 is much less appealing as a vintage, though by no means bad.

David, I’m embarrassed to admit that I haven’t had more than a couple of good ones, but really liked them. Most recently, a 2005 Trimbach FE, which I enjoyed. I had another one on a Disney cruise, of all places, at an upgraded dinner at Remy. I remember the wine was intoxicating and paired perfectly with our dinner.

Thanks guys for the great suggestions. This just seems to be a space where you can find fantastic wines that age well and don’t necessily break the bank. Sort of a “no brainer” when thinking about rounding out my cellar.

Well if you like Trimbach’s CFE, then I suggest you sample some Austrian Rieslings. You can try some very good wjnes without breaking the bank by looking for Schloss Gobelsburg, Hiedler or Hirsch. There’s some great but pricier wines if you look towards producers such as Hirtzberger, Alzinger (similar pricing to CFE), Nikolaihof, Knoll, Pichler, etc.

You will get plenty of answers. If you prefer dry wines, and seem to have issues finding German wines in TX, I suggest Australian Rieslings, particularly from the Eden Valley.

Some top producers which should also not be especially difficult to find:

Grosset
Pewsey Vale
Pike’s
Jim Barry

Even producers that might be considered ‘commercial,’ such as Peter Lehmann, have pretty decent offerings.

David, are there any key differences I should look for when comparing an Austrian vs. German Riesling? Also, which type of German Riesling would it most align to?

David, seeing you are knowledgeable of Austrian wines, what is your impression of Tegernseerhof?

You might also try some Australian Riesling…a lot of very good dry rieslings out of Eden Valley and Clare Valley…

Pikes
Peter Lehmann Wigan
Petaluma
Pewsey Vale Contours

If you can get one with some bottle age, even better…

I am not familiar with that.

Scott-Austrian Rieslings are simar to German Spatlese Trocken or Grosses Gewachs bottlings.

Here are a few producers:

Alsace - Trimbach CFE and Mann
Ruwer - Von Schubert
Saar - Zilliken
Middle Mosel - Rheinhold Haart, Schloss Lieser, Selbach, JJ Prum
Nahe - Donnhoff,
Rheingau - Leitz
Rheinhessen - Keller, Gunderloch
Rheinphalz - Muller-Catoir
Austria - need someone else to recommend here