An Impromptu Night at Bern's Tampa, Solo

In town on business, last minute. Wrapped up at 6:30, hungry, headed to Bern’s. The Bern’s bar/lounge is a hot-bed of activity, always crowded and social, and a damn fine place to network. Won’t talk business, but some was done, and will focus instead on the wine.

The cool thing about the Bern’s bar is that the full menu is available, including the wine list, and the bartenders are quite knowledgeable. Best thing is, the wine by the glass list always has some cool, mature, cheap finds, as you will see.

Started big, though.

1964 Chayeau Leoville Poyferre, 375 ($165.00)

Just lovely. Lovely and elegant. Gorgeous Bordeaux perfume which started tight then opened beautifully over the next hour or so. All red fruits, dry earth, a bit of barn and mature cedar. Slight oxidative note of sherry that was rather appealing. Medium weight on the palate, oak and alcohol barely perceptible. Crisp acids. Very much alive and showing quite well. A really classic example of fine claret.

By the the time my filet rolled around, it was time for another round of wine. Went for the finds off the “by the glass” menu.

1979 Pere Anselme Cornas

Never heard of this estate. Just popped, straight from Bern’s really cold cellar. And only $6.45 per glass. Wow, just $6.45 per glass. Trust me, too, this is not a small pour. Really nice rustic red fruits and racy acids. Charcoal, pepper and seared meats. Damn nice glass of wine. I would be happy drinking this wine all night, and I’d come back for it at the price.

1987 Clos de Val Napa Reserve

A ridiculously good wine, amazing to be available by the glass. All of $16.75 per glass. But for the menthol, I would have guessed Bordeaux. In fact, one of the more surprising cabs for me of recent note. Screams old world, red and dark fruits lifted by good acid, crunchy, tarry, earthy, old cedar. Tannins resolved, nice briny finish. WOTN.

Overall a great night, met some cool people, experienced impeccable service, and how can you beat the wines . . .

I should have noted, guy next to me ordered 2012 Caymus, guy on the other side, a 2010 Stag’s Leap. I think we will be enjoying the mature stuff for many years to come.

Is that a decanter on the left side of the LP bottle? Bern’s provides them?

they wanted new wine, none of that old stuff! Will be going there in Jan for first time. Excited.

Yes, Bern’s decants in an old school way. Brings the wine out in a basket, shows it to you, then decants using a candle to stop the pour when sediment shows. The corks are typically pulled perfectly.

Wow - what fun ‘by the glass’ choices! I need to get to Bern’s…

no kidding, todd. they even had a 75 mondavi zin at under $10. busy day tomorrow, so i had to stop!

the mature bojos were almost worth buying and trying by the bottle, so cheap.

Sounds like you had a terrific evening Robert; very jealous, I’ll be in Orlando next year and will make Berns a priority. I’ll have to check out their “By the Glass” program.

Robert, thanks a bunch for the wonderful TNs and pics! I’ll be popping my Bern’s cherry next week and can’t wait to hit up some old Rhône by the glass.

flirtysmile

I can’t wait to see what Mark B finds in Bern’s basement!

They also remove and place the labels of your bottles on souvenir cards and I think I woke up with the corks in my jacket pocket.

No MV late-night run?

Apparently, I taught them how to find old Latour.

[snort.gif] neener

image.jpg
image.jpg

That 1947 Latour is probably going to get popped by a group of guys this year.
Not me but some others.
It has been hanging around for a few years.

It is really something the wines by the glass that Bern’s has available.
We spend so much time talking about older bottles that were shared but seems you really had some enjoyable wines Robert off the wines by the glass. 64 Leoville Poyferre sounds really good too. Very nice!

Nice work [berserker.gif]

When in January Alan?

Robert, fantastic! I did the same several year ago while in Tampa for a week on business. Should have eaten in the bar, instead of the main dining room.

I’ve got a company meeting in Orlando in January and it seems like I need to make arrangements to get out to Tampa for a Bern’s experience.

Rick… here is a photo of one of their new “By the Glass” options [wow.gif]

Well done R.
I love Berns. It’s been nearly a year for us; time to saddle up!