Question about Krug

In looking around online, it looks the non-vintage (Krug Cuvee) goes regularly for about $180. Yet the 2003 goes for sometime like $240?? According to Wine-Searcher.

Is that really right? is the premium for vintage over the cuvee just $60, or am I missing something here.

You can get 2003 vintage for $175 at PC right now (with the email blast discount).

But for recent vintages you can see differentials in that range. I think the general consensus is that the vintage cuvees aren’t much better, if any better, than the Grande Cuvee – just different and likely can reach greater heights in the best vintages.

PC has regularly had the GC at $125 at discount as well. I’ve purchased both

It’s a vintage that is not selling well, I believe, so it is priced as such. I’m not a huge fan of it, but the GC made with the '03 base is fantastic.

You can find GC for $100/bt. Any more than that, I’d rather spend my money on something else. The less-favoured vintage Krug releases should be around $200/bt. I bought my 03 Krug (PC pre-arrival, granted) for around $150/bt.

Let me know where GC is $100 please

It’s December, they are generally doing the best discounts at the wholesale level so you might be able to find some retailers selling the 375s in the $50-70 range and 750’s in the $120-150 range.

PC sometimes has them pre-arrival. I picked up some GC .375s from PC recently (pre-arrival) at $45 per.

+1

Chicago liquor store basements. Duh.

In all seriousness, it happens. You just have to be quick, and it isn’t only at PC. My current case of GC I bought from a big auction house for that price, but I’ve bought GC for that price at a few other places too.

Aside from pricing errors, prices that factor in counterparty credit risk at PC, and luck at auctions, you wont find Krug GC for less than $120 for a 750.

Except you do and I have multiple times over the last few years, including this year. Just gotta be diligent and it’s definitely not a pricing error

I call bullshit.

Not exactly sure why someone would need to lie about buying Krug for under $125 as if it takes some sort of magical trick to do so. In fact, I have never paid over $125 for mv Krug according to my cellartracker.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night

2003 is just an overall bad vintage in champagne IMO.

maybe sub $125 pricing is exclusively for asians

Finally we get a break. They’ve been charging us 2x what Lafite costs everyone else for years! [snort.gif]

I for one want to know where folks are getting such good deals on Krug. The closest I’ve gotten to that is $48/per on 375s (should’ve bought 'em all). I’ve never seen 750’s lower than ~$125, but routinely can get them for ~$150.

I haven’t tried a bottle yet – I’m hoping to soon – but the reviews on 03 Krug are pretty uniformly good. Is it worth $200? Who knows.

Krug doesn’t place a premium on vintage vs grand cuvée because of a perceived quality difference but claims the price difference is simply a result of supply differences. They say all five wines are on the same rung instead of different steps on a ladder. They just produce more GC and do so every year…