TN: 1993 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley

• 1993 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (11/25/2014)
    This wine has actually been drinking quite well over the past 7-8 years. It is now drinking really well. The nose has plenty of savoury nuance with some leather, iron filings, blood and thyme. It has creamy cherry fruit that counters all of the savoury elements. It is dense, sinewy, chewy and muscular. There is so much rocky detail in the mouth and the finish is firm and length impressive. Will probably drink brilliantly well in another decade.

Posted from CellarTracker

Jeremy, thanks for your note, good to hear. You haven’t tried the '99 lately have you?

Cheers, Howard

And to pile on, any recent '98 experience?

More piling - 1996?

No notes on the 98, have notes on the 99 and 96 from a few years back.

1999 (note from 2010): Big, brooding and dense. Very much better the second day. Loaded with iron filings, blood, plummy fruits, dried flowers and earth. Dense and chewy with the most rigid of spines. Needs perhaps another 20+ years

1996 (note from 2008): Beautiful aromatics that are hard to pin down with words, hits that void between sweet and savoury that the Japanese may term umami. In the mouth there are sappy, dense red and dark fruits blanketing some serious acidity. The structural elements eventually bare their teeth and may in fact bite the Faiveley uninitiated but to a masochistic mouth like mine its music to my molars!

Thanks Jeremy. It looks like I won’t be opening my '99 this weekend then! Pity I haven’t got a '93, it sounds good.

Cheers, Howard

Thanks, Jeremy.

How about the 1995?

I have both 95 & 96 and drank one last year but cannot recall the vintage. IIRC it was quite broad shouldered and i concluded that it needed more time. No surprise there.

No recent experience with the 95 Joel. Being a rather stern vintage coupled with Faiveley you’d think it may still need a bit of time. However the 95 Charmes-Chambertin from Faiveley is actually quite a good drink now so it may be worth a shot.

Piling on with drift.

Have you tried the 95 Beze? As you alluded to, I can’t tell if I should wait longer due to Faiveley and vintage or give it a go!

No recent experience with the 95 Beze Fred.

Great stuff Jeremy