Bourdeaux smells like Worcestershire sauce

Tonight I opened a 2004 Bourdeaux. Poured more brown than I’d expect, smells like Worcestershire sauce, and tasted like pruno. That’s a first for me. Given the browning, I suspect it was a cork failure- but there’s no evidence of that. Thoughts?

Can’t believe you tasted it, but admit I like Worcestershire sauce and would have tried it. Cause? I don’t know but it sounds like it would be sweet vinegar in another year. You might want to give up the name of the producer to get a more educated answer.

Classic maderized bottle, presumably cork failure.

Use it to marinate a steak.

Also 2004 was an uneven year in terms of climate so the vintage as a generalization is a mixed one. Of course there are always some excellent wines, like 2004 Palmer.

What was the wine please?

AR

Opened a 2004 Leoville Barton yesterday that was very fresh and young. Your bottle might also have seen heat.

All of my 04’s have been stellar. Looks like you lost the lottery.

I like the life-on-the-edge spirit, Nancy, but I’m not letting a liquid like that anywhere near my steak!

Maderized.

I should have clarified I’ve had this same wine before, bought and stored the same, and it was fine. I intentionally left out the name since I don’t believe its the fault of the producer, I’m just curious what/how this happened.

Maybe it’s because you’re drinking a Bourdeaux and not a Bordeaux.

Bourdain’s private label

Doh! At least I spelled Worcestershire right.

Exactly what I was going to post! [welldone.gif]

Cooked or oxidized. Nothing to do with Bordeaux.

I have nothing in common with the 2004 vintage from bdx, but maybe the maderized is actually Parkerized.

Comment on the wine and not on you.

I do often get a hint of soy on very ripe wines, but when they are cooked it is a really common note. Same also any time there is wine under the capsule.