Serving order?

Popping some corks on Wednesday night. Debating the old to young vs the young then old?

The full proposed lineup will be:
2002 JJ Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett - with fresh caught sautéed grouse
2005 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne - assorted appetizers featuring smoked salmon
1990 Comte de Vogüé Musigny VV - “”
1970 Latour - Wedge salad with Gorgonzola
1975 Latour - “”
1990 Les Forts de Latour - Rack of Lamb with rosemary Dijon sauce
1990 Latour - “”
1990 Magaux - “”
1990 Cheval Blanc - “”
1990 d’Yquem - Pumpkin cheesecake

Or do I do a do a different course with the Comte de Vogüé and serve the '70 and 75 Latour with a cheese course after the Lamb?

Jeff,

That’s a truly glorious mess.

Do the Charlie first, and pray.

Do the Muse next and keep it really separate from the Bordeaux, separated by time, food, water, anything. Pinot to Cab is probably the worst possible transition in wine that does not involve RS.

Do your great Bordeaux '90s with the lamb.

Do the '70 and '75 Latours with the cheese.

Do the young JJ and the Yquem side by side with the pumpkin cheesecake and let everybody figure it out.

I’d say ‘have a great time’, but you will, and you know that.

Best,

Dan Kravitz

I’m lost, but when in doubt, I would certainly trust Dan’s judgement. You might receive different advice, but probably not better. I am still figuring out how to share a glass or two with Dan.
Dan - still waiting for my other .246 points on some vintage of mine or other. [cheers.gif]

'70 and '75 Latour should be great but a wedge salad seems like the worst possible pairing…

Serve the oldies AFTER the main course when they have a chance to be interesting.

And the Vogue won’t be a good match with smoked salmon, in my experience.

For my 2 cts, the salad w Gorgonzola doesn’t work with most of the wines except d’Yquem. So that’s what I’d do - why wait till the end of the meal for Sauternes? It’s a great start.

Then get extra lamb because that goes with everything else.

See how simple it can be?

What a line up!!

I’d swap the first two whites, and let the Prum carry over into the wedge salad with gorgonzola course. Depending on the strength of the gorgonzola, not many dry reds could match up with that.

Any chance on saving some of the '90 Bordeaux and the Vogue for Thursday? Seems like no one will remember that lamb course with all of those great wines.

Definitely cheese with the '70 and '75 Latours. That could be the most interesting course of the night.

Have a wonderful night!

All Dan Kravitz said. And i would like to enfatize this line in particular.

my 2c would be throw in some palate cleanser in between. A bottle of extra brut champagne or some white burg could be great. Maybe start with the Champagne and save the Charlie to serve between the Pinot and Cab.

There is the quintessential, archetypal Berserker response: add more wine to the menu!

LOVE it.

BTW, I have no suggestions, but find the discussion enormously entertaining

I agree with Dan, except that I would serve the Vogüe AFTER the red Bordeaux …
It is very dangerous to serve dry Bordeaux after a (most probably heavy sweet) Prüm … that can ruin the taste for the dry reds.
Same for the Musigny which should have a nice sweetness from extract and maturity …

I had always difficulties to appreciate a dry red after an (even slightly) sweet white …

Also not sure about the pairing with the food … whats the dressing for the wedge salad ?
I would first figure out the wine flights - and then match the food … not the other way round.

Have fun!

Exact opposite from me - I’d do less wine. Frankly, I’d remove the '90 Vogue entirely, and I’m a Burgundy lover! I don’t see it fitting any of the food courses. If it’s going to be included, I agree with others that it should go after the Bordeaux, but at that point there has been a great deal of wine and your palate is in a certain place, as is your nose. I would hesitate to open an important bottle like that in a situation where it could be forgotten, or where the deck has been stacked against it.

Also agree with Dan that the Prum could happily move to the dessert course. The sugar thing is difficult to overcome for me as well.

In any case, it will be a great evening.

A 12 year old Kab isn’t going to be very sweet. I wouldn’t pair with a desert.

I had it about 3 weeks ago, and it was showing a discernible sweetness.

Well I don’t think we contradict each other…

Did you consider it an ideal desert wine?

I did not consider it an ideal dessert wine, and it certainly would not have enough sweetness to work with some desserts; but that wasn’t the question posed by the OP. For a pumpkin cheesecake, which is a particularly savory dessert, and not overly sweet (not when I make it anyway) I think it would work very nicely, which I don’t think is the case with putting it first in the line-up, where even the amount of sweetness it has would be a tough place to begin.

Well thank goodness tastes differ!

Agreed 100%.
It’s a mess of a wine…and I’m a Burgundy lover!

Thanks for all the input! Yeah, I think that I’ll do something other than the Musigny…that was an impulse add. The wedge salad will have a light blue dressing. It’s there more out of simplicity. I’m having four buddies over for my annual b-day drink down. Trying to keep it simple. My wife just had foot surgery, so I’m basically on my own. Need to feed eight with my wife and teenage boys.

Wedge salad? Had to look that one up! Slightly out of place in that line-up. Isn’t that the kind of thing they serve up at places like Olive Garden?

Nice looking wine selection, though.