Odds this one is real??

I actually think this probably is. Not that I’m dropping $7K on a bottle of wine, but…

Never know whether it’s real or not anymore, but I did have a '47 CB a couple years ago that was in better condition than this bottle and definitely an original bottle. Not worth the $7K gamble…

Looks to my untrained eye that the “4” in 1947 isn’t right (the smudge below it worries me). Can’t see anything on the cork, though

Admit that you’re tempted.

I base this on nothing more than just gut feeling, but something about that label doesn’t seem right, the spacing between the 4 and 7, the overall condition of the label, the small discolorations don’t seem random or something, I think David and I are passing.

Can always call Benno Friedman and ask him about it! The back label has his cellar sticker on it.

To me the most suspicious thing is that it’s offered on WineBid.

+1

Was '47 bottled at the chateau? Seems early for that claim (but I don’t really know what I’m talking about so keep that in mind)

Label looks awfully dodgy, look how sharp the edges are

Looks like laser printing to me

+1

I can’t get past that 4. Nothing about it looks right.

According to http://www.commercialappeal.com/obituaries/memphis-area-obituaries-july-29-2012 Friedman, apparently well known in Memphis as an oenophile, recently died. Lends some credibility to the appearance of the bottle at auction…but makes it harder to trace it back to its source.

Provenance updated (sort of) and opening bid lowered, FWIW. Twill be very interesting to see the price at which someone bites.

great obituary.

Was reading a Neal Martin Hedonist’s Gazette review and he drank a '48 and a '49 Cheval Blanc. Now I’m not an expert or anything on labeling, and maybe back then the chateau let others put labels on their bottles, but the picture he posted of the '48 and the '49 (that’s a '66 in the background) make the lot on winebid even more suspect in my book.
Cheval Blanc bottles.jpg

The label of the 1949 in that picture is clearly from a negociant or some other bottler. Cheval definitely had its modern label by 1947.

you can read the word “negociant” on the bottom of the label.