TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/22/2014)
I’ve had several bottles of this in the past that were merely excellent. This bottle was utterly stupendous. An evolved gold - the exact color of 24k gold - much darker than previous bottles. But the color is completely out of sync with the nose and palate, which are explosively open and very fresh, filled with cherry, lime, apricot, grace notes of botrytis, caramel pretzel, ginger… It seems like there’s an infinity in this. The acid is huge and tense, but it’s still a very sweet bottle and in perfect balance. A kiss of bitterness on the finish is just the right touch for such a massive wine, and cleanses the palate perfectly. I don’t know the lot numbers of the previous bottles I tried, but this is AP 20 and it blows away the other bottles I’ve had, which include the auction bottling and the GKA. Always fun to be surprised like this. (96 pts.)

Awesome wines here in 01, the Spatlese might be my favourite, and my favourite Prum Spatlese, though the 2012 will challenge it…

I have not tasted any of my very limited supply of 01 Prum. For some reason 01 Prum was very hard to find in NJ at release. Is the WS Kabinett in a good place now?

Thanks for the TN. I only have these two from JJ.

2006 J.J. Prum Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese Riesling (Mosel, Germany)
2008 J.J. Prum Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett Riesling (Mosel, Germany)

I have tasted lots and lots of Prum 2001, as that is my favorite combination of producer and vintage.

G-H is open at all levels, particularly if your prefer your riesing on the younger side of the plateau of maturity.

W-S kabinett is definitely open but probably could go longer. W-S Spat and Aus are delicious but still, I think, generally on the upswing. This was the first W-S bottle I had that seemed “mature” to me, and it was a revelation - I am on the record that I prefer G-H to W-S, but this bottle makes me rethink that.

Only have 3 bottles of the 01 left. Now you have me wondering if I should hoard them. Not sure I could. They are irresistible.

Thanks for the note David. Probably lining up a 2001 GH Spätlese for Christmas.

Thanks for posting, David. Am going to open one of these on Thanksgiving. Hope it’s as good as yours was.

I just checked which 2001s are available downtown, I found 3 so any thoughts please?

2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Auslese *** (Mosel, Germany)
$47.99 (750mL)

2001 Jos. Christoffel Jr. Riesling Auslese *** (Mosel, Germany)
$42.99 (750 mL)

2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Riesling Auslese Halbtrocken (Mosel, Germany)
$31.99 (750 mL)

That Christoffel *** auslese is a stupendous wine, and that is a pretty good price. Run don’t walk. I would buy it for myself if it were available in the US.

Love Prum. The producer I have the second most wine from (after Truchot) and I have nine bottles of 2001s left. Thanks for the notes, David.

I have a few of these. If only I could find them…

I have more of these than any other wine in my wine cellar. Happy I loaded up on them.

It appears from CT that i still have 35 of the 54 2001 Prums that i bought. A good friend will be over wednesday for dinner. Perhaps a w.s. Auction spatlese would be nice.

Hmm, just read the note on this by MFW. Maybe I will open a GH spatlese instead.

Their note is nearly four years old, if you have more than one I wouldn’t hesitate to try one.

I’ve picked up a good amount of the regular 01 spatlese recently, including two 11 bottle lots, since they were still in bond so provenance shouldn’t be an issue I can only assume the original buyer doesn’t like amazing Mosel Spatlesen!

Agree with whoever said that. 01 kab starting to drink well and 01 spat still youngish. Dipped into both last month and eternally grateful to whomever thinned from their cellar in favor of these loving hands

As I am just starting to really appreciate the quality of Riesling and Prum in particular, I’m mpressed by how many of you have so many 12+ year old bottles! I seem to drink these things like Koolaide. For someone like me that has no real experience with a more mature dry Riesling, can someone explain how and into what they evolve? Thanks.

You won’t regret opening the WS auslese, unless it’s close to your last.

Had a bottle earlier this month with (all 2001 Auslesen) Christoffel UW, Prum GH, S-O Zelt Schloss, and Schaeffer GD and the two Prums were the ones that were drinking well.

The 2001 Prum WS Spat was also drinking very well, as was the WS Kab.

Charles

Well I have the anagram of that AP so I guess my wine will suck.