2011 Dublere Bg Bl, 1988 Clair Gevrey 1er

2011 Dublere Bourgogne Blanc – Intense aromas of white fruits and spices; Macintosh apple, ginger and coriander seed. The palate is dense and layered, with Bosc pear to go with the apple. Blazingly fresh acidity works well with smoked salmon, but this needs time. Rated 88.2, up to 2 points of improvement possible over the next 2 – 4 years.

1988 Bruno Clair Gevrey 1er Cru ‘Clos St Jacques’ – decanted for an hour – decanting eliminated old Burg funk leaving black cherries, black plums and plenty of sous-bois. Color is quite light, but the wine has substantial breadth, although light in body. This has autumnal finesse, fine subtlety, hints of cumin to go with the fruits, now red as well as black. The earthiness is well integrated, the balance is excellent. Rated 92.5, ready to drink but I think decanting makes a big positive difference.

Dan Kravitz

Why do you always round up to one decimal place, Dan? Please, a bit more precision. [cheers.gif]

age dulls the palate–precision suffers.

When I started drinking wine (~1890), I scored to four decimal places. Alan is correct, age has dulled my palate.

If you think about it, the 100 point scale is really a 50 point scale is really a 15 point scale (I guarantee you have never seen a score below 50, and when was the last time you saw a score below 85?).

Doing tenths, it’s really a 150 point scale (85.0 - 100), not such a stretch from the ‘100 point’ scale.

And tonight the Dublere has improved dramatically, with the acidity calmed down and there is a breadth and calmness lacking when it was opened. I’m also calmer than when I first tasted it, so ready to consider it more carefully. Rated 89.5515. YMWV (your mileage will vary).
[snort.gif]

Dan Kravitz

Dan I have to call BS here. I just had this wine and its clearly a 90.0123

Had the Dublere last year when we visited Blair. Outstanding Bourgogne Blanc.

Had some other Bruno Clair Gevrey 1988s but drank them up years ago. I liked them a lot; glad to see yours (which should be better) are tasting great.

This post is an instant classic in my book :slight_smile:
Cheers! :slight_smile: