TN: 1999 Allegrini Amarone della Valpolicella Classico

• 1999 Allegrini Amarone della Valpolicella Classico - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (11/23/2014)
    decanted for one hour…a large amount of very fine sediment left in the bottle…tasted from reidel som hermitage glass, after standing for an additional hour. meniscus showed a little brown…wine itself was opaque because it was quite cloudy as others have reported…the nose was wonderful: primarily raisins, also notes of dark stone fruit, sweet stewed prunes, dark red roses ((I grow them)…the palate: smooth tannins…taste was as the nose…the finish was a bit hot…overall, the wine was quite good, but I am biased. This is now 15 years old. we have two more bottles, and I plan to drink them over the next few years, as I am not sure it will hold longer (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

It should Michael. I had the 1996 last month and it was still pretty young, all in all. Great value producer for Amarone.

Have a 1995 I’ve been saving any ideas if it’s ready or past its prime? Any recommendations on food pairings?

Should still be very good, Mike.
Try it with Osso Buco or even leg of lamb.

Roy,

Love the food paring recommendations, thanks!

My pleasure Mike!

Roy