TN: Penfolds Tasting with 5 vintages of Grange and a bunch more

PENFOLDS TASTING WITH 5 VINTAGES OF GRANGE AND A BUNCH MORE - Downtown Cleveland (11/21/2014)

Last night a group of us braved the snow and cold (luckily we were not in Buffalo) to meet at one of our favorite places in downtown Cleveland for a many course meal highlighted by a selection of Penfold’s wines. Most of the wines came either from my cellar or Gary H’s and bought on release, but a few were bought for the occasion. It was a great opportunity to taste thru a lot of their lineup. Originally, this was to be an all grange tasting, but I liked this better as we progressed thru the wines as it gave a geeky impression of their wine. The food was amazing and the wines showed well. Lots of very hard belly laughs too.
A Saprkling starter (not Grange, but still from Australia):

• 2010 Taltarni Brut Taché - Australia
    Copper in color. The nose has some strawberries and a bit of rhubarb. The palate has rhubarb with slight toast. A bit tart. Some apple cider notes. Nice mousse but it faded in the glass. Certainly a nice Aussie sparkling wine and a nice way to start the night. For an under $20 sparkler it is nice. (87 pts.)

A few whites to get going:

• 2008 Penfolds Riesling Thomas Hyland - Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
    Not a bad showing for a 6 year old $10 Riesling. Golden in color. The nose has petrol and lemons. Tart on the palate. Mostly dry, not quite completely. This is alive and drinking just fine although certainly showing some development/age. It may have been fresher in the day, but it is screw capped and a nice value. (87 pts.)
  • 2009 Penfolds Riesling Bin 51 - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Eden Valley
    This was nice but at over twice the cost of the Hyland, there is not a whole lot of difference. A bit of petrol on the nose. Creamy lemons too. The palate is again, almost dry. It is fresher on the palate. Lemons with some minerality. Neither of these are expensive and both screw capped and are drinking mature but just fine. (88 pts.)
  • 2008 Penfolds Chardonnay Yattarna - Australia, South Australia
    A very nice Chard holding up just fine. The nose is creamy lemon chiffon. Some minerals as well. Very distinct on the palate. It would be hard to place blind IMO. Lemon cream flavors. Some oak. Reasonably crisp. Nice finish. At 6 years, it is not youthful but not showing old either. IMO a bit pricey, but such is life. Certainly an outstanding wine. (91 pts.)

The St. Henri flight (plus a 389):

• 2004 Penfolds Bin 389 - Australia, South Australia
    This was a last minute addition, so it saw about two hours of air prior to serving. The nose is dusty with black raspberries, blueberries and smoked meat. Nice. Both the nose and the palate are drinking well. Perhaps at peak but just barely. At ten years, this is ageing slowly. It is a blend of Cab and Shiraz. Nice juicy black raspberries, with layers of complexity. IIRC, this was about $30 on release and a great value. I think the price on new releases is at least double. I was surprised how young this drank. (90 pts.)
  • 1998 Penfolds Shiraz St. Henri - Australia, South Australia
    Purchased by me on release. I was wondering if this would be over the hill, but again, this is just getting into its wheelhouse and drinking great. Seemed to be the groups favorite of the flight. black cherries, black raspberries, some grilled meats on the nose. On the palate, layered complexity. Vibrant black raspberry fruit. Some spice. Mostly resolved tannins. Seems to be at peak at his point 16 years from vintage but no hurry. This was $30 on release, but current vintages are up at $100 a bottle. Might be worth it. (93 pts.)
  • 2006 Penfolds Shiraz St. Henri - Australia, South Australia
    Not quite the wine the 98 is, but give it time apparently. The nose has black raspberries and some black pepper. softer texture and a bit thinner than the 98. A bit of coffee on the finish. Firm tannins. Slight heat as well. Drinks like a middle of the road, quality Aussie Shiraz at the moment. (92 pts.)

The RWT flight:
This was the tightest flight in terms of the wines not showing differently. Of course, it was a tight grouping of vintages and all the same wine. Still, there were differences.

• 2004 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Black raspberries, a bit of eucalyptus and some grilled meats on the nose. Black raspberries on the palate. This is very nice, not a monster wine, but drinking well if youthful. It is accessible though, the most in the flight. (93 pts.)
  • 2006 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    At first I found this to be the weakest wine in the flight (04 thru 07), but this picked up with air. It is jammy black raspberries on the nose. Tons of tannins. Velvety texture. This is a lush wine that needs some time. Not a monster but more about opulence than elegance. (94 pts.)
  • 2007 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Very young. Not showing a lot. The nose has spice, black raspberries, cedar and black pepper. Tannins and more tannins on the palate. Lots of fruit too. Black raspberries and kirsch. This is intense. While it drinks well now, its best days are well ahead IMO. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    My favorite in the flight although the group seemed split between the wines. This is very tight but with air the nose shows, black raspberries, cedar and some coffee. Also some black pepper. Really concentrated. Intense. Needs time. (95 pts.)

The first Grange flight:

• 1982 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    Wow. What a beautiful wine. I opened it at 8am and it smelled good. At noon, it had a raisinette note which had me worrying. By 9 p.m. when we got to it, it was great. Purple in color showing little signs of age, perhaps a bit less intense than the 98 in color. The nose is great and deep with black raspberries, blueberries, smoke, spice and even some bacon fat. The palate is accessible. Complex and layered. Softer while not soft. A beguiling wine. Hard to think it is 32 years old. No sign of being past peak, but I have to assume it won’t get better from here, but should hold for a while. Tannins are integrated. Gorgeous wine. (97 pts.)
  • 1998 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    Opened at 7 am, so it had about 14 hours to slow-ox. This is still a monster wine showing very young. I would hold off for another decade at least on opening another bottle. The nose has black raspberries, leather, bacon fat, black olives and cedar. Gorgeous texture. complex but it is huge and deep and tightly layered. it unwinds in the glass to show a beautiful wine. Concentrated, complex and delicious. Its best days are ahead though. (96 pts.)
  • 2000 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    Perhaps the weakest vintage in the tasting, this still rocked. Black raspberries, grilled meats, black pepper, cedar and slight menthol on the nose. The most classis “Shiraz” of the Granges. Firm tannins but showing a depth of layers as it unwinds in the glass. Great concentration. Lots of fruit. Delicious. (94 pts.)

The second Grange flight (plus an Astralis):

• 2001 Clarendon Hills Astralis - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, Clarendon
    This was thrown in as an extra bottle. There were some complaints that this might be an off or flawed bottle. Perhaps. It is a huge wine and there might be some VA which doesn’t help. In general, I have not been as much a fan of Clarendon Hills as some. The nose has black raspberries, alcohol, black pepper and a liqueur quality. On the palate, this is huge and a bit mono-dimensional next to the Grange. Still, there is a lot to like here. Tons of fruit and depth. Warming on the finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2001 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    This is huge but next to the Astralis is seems reasonable. Inky purple in color. The nose has black raspberries, black pepper, cedar and charred/gamey meats. Maybe some black olives too. Intense and concentrated. Drinking delicious now, but more about power and intensity. Tons fruit. Long finish. Needs a lot of time, but this exceeded my expectations as it is close to the 98. (96 pts.)
  • 2005 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia
    If Grange was affordable, this would be an example of why to drink some young. Yes, it is immense and intense, but there is lot of pleasure here too. Black raspberries, cassis, spice, black pepper, grilled meats and licorice on the nose. Huge to drink but a lovely texture makes it go down very well. Lots of tannins of course. Long finish. Plenty of room to improve here, this needs a decade or more. A real treat to try tonight though. Thanks Berto. (95 pts.)

Dessert:

• NV Penfolds Grandfather Rare Tawny - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Berto mentioned this drinks a lot of Aussie stickies. I thought it had a bit more elegance than many of them. This was a bit pricier too, so not a lot of value depending where you buy it (its $90 in Ohio). Great packaging. The wine is an iced tea color. The nose has brown sugar, toffee and crème brulee. Gorgeous nose. Not quite as complex on the palate. It drinks smooth and easy though. Nice balance. Slightly nutty. Smooth with little heat. Long finish. Slightly sweet but not overtly. A great end to a great dinner. (91 pts.)

One more for the (very snowy) road:

• 2012 Sami-Odi Syrah Baby Tui - Australia, South Australia, Barossa
    George’s wine cam to give him a ride home bearing this. I was excited to try this. Never had it, but I remember Manfred Krankl touting it. It is quite good. It doesn’t drink like what I think of typically being Australian. Purple in color. The nose has black raspberries, black pepper, grilled/smoked meats. Lush texture but has that light on its feet quality despite the size I find more in Paso or Santa Barbara Syrahs. Great texture. Long finish. Needs a few years, but should make it. No idea on pricing though. (93 pts.)

What a great night. We had just a great time! The wines delivered. The food over delivered. This morning was rough.
Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes. I stopped buying with the 1998 Grange, but I have a bunch of vintages between 1982 and 1998–should do a vertical sometime.

Bruce

I’m in the same boat. I stopped buying with the 2004 vintage. A difficult decision, since I’d kept up the vertical since 1988.

I keep putting off a vertical tasting because I’m worried I’ll enjoy it so much, I’ll get back to buying it.

A great night, thanks for organizing Loren. Here are the brief notes I wrote down:

1982 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia (11/22/2014)
By far my favorite wine of the night. Cigar box, truffles, underbrush on the nose. A hint of mint as well. The palate showed some mint, wet leaves, light blueberries and some black pepper. Very long and amazingly compelling.

1998 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia (11/22/2014)
A bit tight but with vigorous swirling some mushrooms, chocolate and raspberries come out to play. The palate is full of luscious berries, a hint of mint and a tannic finish. Young but delicious wine. I’ve had this a few times and always loved it but the 82 makes it just seem so young.

1998 Penfolds Shiraz St. Henri - Australia, South Australia (11/22/2014)
Nose of cinnamon toast, floral notes and grilled meats. The palate reminds me of roasted cherries, but this has a nice lift to it. Good.

2000 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia (11/22/2014)
Young smelling with raspberries and some oak. The palate doesn’t come across as young with juicy berries and almost resolved tannins. Really good but overshadowed by the company.

2001 Clarendon Hills Astralis - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, Clarendon (11/22/2014)
Lots of paint thinner on the nose VA was somewhat bothersome. The palate was lush and sweet with some crisp berries and chocolate. Delicious to drink, not so much to smell.

2001 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia (11/22/2014)
More chocolate on the nose than the rest. Also somewhat softer. The palate has bright berries, a bit of green herbs. Tight and young.

2004 Penfolds Bin 389 - Australia, South Australia (11/22/2014)
Nose of smoke and licorice with some grilled meat. The palate is medium, crisp. Raw beef with a hint of herbs, currants and lots of blueberries. Good.

2004 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (11/22/2014)
Smoky, beefy nose. Strikingly balanced palate with hints of cinnamon and orange rind. Very clean wine. Really liked this.

2005 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia (11/22/2014)
Oak, vanilla and beef on the nose. The palate is full but the fruit is tight and the tannins strong. This has lots of promise but needs years.

2005 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (11/22/2014)
I got a lot of vanilla and ripe cherries from this. This came across as very young compared to the rest of the flight. Lots of stuffing though.

2006 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (11/22/2014)
Cinnamon struck me on the nose. Also the most oaky of the RWTs. The palate is sweet up front but quickly hammered down by some great acidity. Then you get rocked by lots of tannin. Time should balance this out.

2006 Penfolds Shiraz St. Henri - Australia, South Australia (11/22/2014)
Beefy nose with flowers and bright berries. The palate is medium in weight with crunchy berries. Long finish with a hint of green herbs. I liked this a lot.

2007 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (11/22/2014)
A little tight on the nose. Again some ex oak and lots of tannins. This is just too young.

2012 Sami-Odi Syrah Baby Tui - Australia, South Australia, Barossa (11/22/2014)
Big Shiraz. Meaty, grilled notes on the nose. The palate is big and structured with loads of gamey notes. I like it but it needs to rest.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thx for the notes, what an amazing tasting! I’m a Penfolds fan (and not ashamed to admit it) but, like many others, the pricing has pushed me out of buying. The RWT was just a killer wine when it was >$50…think I bought the 2001 for $38.99. But over $60 is pushing it. Same with the 389, used to be had for $25 or less but now it’s $40 or more. Too bad. The Magill Estate used to be $40, same with St. Henri…

sigh

Now I feel old lol.

The '12’s (and '10 Grange) Penfolds are out now, there is some cracking wines amongst them, although the prices are somewhat higher now.

The '10 Grange, '12 Magill, '707, Bin 150 and Yattarna are all spectacular.

I like the Sami Odi wines, interesting modern expressions of Barossa Shiraz, and not really all that expensive (but not as good as his “mentor” Dan Standish’s wines).

Thanks Loren.

The Sami-Odi wines are really delicious. Dan Standish’s 12’s are also quite brilliant if you ever see them around.

Best Regards
Jeremy