Old Bottle Question

I have a strange question:

I just purchased a 1971 Moulin Touchais from very reputable store in NYC. I’ve noticed something very odd about the color of the wine. The bottle is green, but the wine looks much darker towards the center of the bottle than it does towards the edges. At first I though it was just how the light was hitting the bottle, but no matter how I position the light in relation to the bottle, it looks the same. I have a lot of other older green bottles (rieslings mostly) that don’t look like this.

I’m sure I’m just being crazy, but it is bothering me that I cannot come up with a rational explanation for this. Someone please explain!

It’s not the glass, it’s the wine. You’ll understand once you’ve poured the wine, see that it is deep gold with even some greenish/brown hues, and the empty bottle passes light normally.

Um, because you’re looking through three inches’ worth of a colored liquid at the center of the bottle and less than that at the edges?

Yes, that is the obvious answer. But the coloring is not consistent with that. The shade looks different in areas of the bottle that should look the same. That’s why I thought it was something weird with the bottle.

I tried taking a picture to post, but it doesn’t do it justice. I swear I’m not crazy…

Sure, that’s what they all say… [basic-smile.gif]

+1