TN: 1998 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Grèves

• 1998 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Grèves - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (11/19/2014)
    Colour ruby red, just beginning to brown around the edges. A slightly porty, feral nose of largely red fruit, wet forest log with mushroom and moss and black truffle. With more time open, the bouquet showed dried earth, tobacco leaf, rusty iron and dried herbs. The savoury and earthy elements are very Beaune and perhaps a little Corton-like. Better on bouquet than on palate. The entry to the palate shows savouriness. A little clenched and tight in the mid palate, with a core of red berries. The flavours are raspberry, tart, sour red cherry, red liquorice, beetroot and dark soil. Below medium weight, but with sufficient fruit weight, ripe enough. The tannins and acids are now well integrated. Not very complex, the 1er pulls up a little short. Give this wine five years cellar time. Audouze for 2-3 hours if you do open one soon. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, Howard. I have a couple of Beaune Ursules hiding in the cellar, so I will extrapolate from your Beaune Greves note and treat my bottles similarly.

Blair, please post a note about it. I’d be interested. In opening this it was a toss up with a 2000 Beaune Ursules I also have. I might open it soon anyway.

Cheers, Howard

I haven’t had this wine so I shouldn’t really comment, but just to go against the orthodoxy of “burgundy isn’t good if it doesn’t have 20 years on it”, I had a '98 Jadot Bonnes Mares recently and it was singing. I find it hard to believe that this wine really needs another 5 years to be good. My better guess is it just isn’t a great bottle and won’t be as good in 5 years - though I’m a big Greves fan.

To me, the issue is it’s unpredictable whether Burgundy will show well unless it’s 20+ years old (25 for producers like Jadot in structured years, such as 2005).

Hi David,

I don’t have a crystal ball so I don’t really know where this wine will go in 5 more years.

My best guess was because it seemed a bit clenched in mid palate, perhaps it might unwind a little more with that sort of cellar time. It may be however that that’s as good as it will get. But I don’t think you would loose anything much with 5 more years. I don’t think it will fall apart in that time.

On the other hand I don’t see huge upside potential to the wine, so it probably ultimately doesn’t matter too much.

Cheers, Howard

Hm. Looks like I should remember to forget about my '05’s for a long time to come. Thanks.