Get ready for Nat'l Zinfandel Day, 11/19

I set out an '08 Storybook Est Resv. Might be a spaghetti and meatballs night.

Best holiday of the year, after Nat’l Garlic Day in April :slight_smile:

Maybe this will give you some ideas …

Ridge doing a free shipping offer on $100+ Purchases.

Hey Bob, actually had one of your Zins last winter. Didn’t put 2 & 2 together until now.

Carlisle is arriving tomorrow, but I also have Turley and Bedrock from recent deliveries. All the older stuff is at off-site and I won’t get there until the weekend.
I think I’ll pop a '12 Carlisle Papera.

I guess I need a disclaimer in my sig. You’re the 2nd person in a week to assume Hunnicutt Wine is mine. Actually, the owner Justin, took the name from his mother’s side of the family. So the bastard stole my name and it isn’t even his! Guess my kids will have to come up with something else if they ever get there.

Anyway, their wines have pretty nice structure though last time I was there it was mostly the 2011s and they were lacking a bit. But I’ve been buying them just so I can fool ppl into thinking I’ve done something successful with my life. LOL

I’m in. Planning on opening a Turley Hayne for #ZinDay.

Tom

-1 for not realizing the day was upon us and +1 for joining in? I’m even! :slight_smile:

And 20% discount for ClubMembers for 12+ btls or more. Offer goes thru Sun. Makes for very attractive prices.
Mary can take care of you.
I think the '12 Ridge Zins are some of their best in some time. Especially the Jimsomare.

Tom

Going to open a completely out of control DOBRA ZEMLJA Zinfandel tonight from Amador County -

Gasp…“out of control”, Thomas. I am shocked that anybody would describe one of Milan’s wines like that!!! [snort.gif]

You’re right…not wines for wusses. Many yrs ago, I did a visit w/ Milan at DZ. Nice visit/charming guy.
As he walked me to my car in the parking lot, he noticed my fencing epee lying on the back seat. He immediately
launched onto tales of his sabre fencing days of his youth. I got my epee out & he started swinging it around like a sabre
(that was soooo ugly), demonstrating his moves, rekindling his youth I suppose. After about a 20 min digression into the sabre
world of Milan’s, he noticed my rear tire was a bit low. He immediately retrieved his air compressor from the wnry, ran an
extension out to the parking lot, and filled my tire back up and sent me on my way with the admonishment to keep
my eye on that tire.
Only in Amador. You don’t get those kind of experiences at RobertMondavi or Inglenook.
Tom

Great story Tom - thanks! - I love Milan, and have been working with him off and on for at least 12+ years whenever I can get enough wine from him to sell. There is something almost “Rayas-like” in his red wines that have always kept me going back to them. At once they seem light and fluid, the next sip is raspberry port-like that seems to just explode on the palate and there is this incredible old world charm to them (barnyards be damned). As much as I love his wines, I can only handle a bottle or two a year. And, I must admit, it is probably my favorite packaging on any bottle of California wine, thanks to Milan’s wife Victoria who is a terrific artist.

I’m popping a 2006 Zinfandel from them tonight, and its 16.6% alcohol.

Ah, one of the more seasonally appropriate national wine days. Super tempted to pop an '07 Williams Selyem Papera, but I’ll more than likely save that for Thanksgiving. Might check in on the '12 Bedrock Kirschenmann instead.

1991 Geyserville ready and waiting for this evening.

I just pulled out my last bottle of 1981 LYTTON SPRINGS Zinfandel for tonight as well. Looks like we are firing up the grill -

Tom Hill? You are my favorite tasting note supplier - what say ye’ on the '81 Lytton Springs - had it lately? The last bottle I had about five years ago was absolutely divine -

Tom

Are his wines on the big bold no nonsense Russian beet farmer type i search for ?

What about the Syrah ?

Alan

I have the 2nd half of a 2010 Carlisle Fanucchi Wood Road on deck for tonight.

Exactly Alan. They are so “old school”, yet not the grapy, fruit-bomb style, just that mountain/iron-like depth that Amador wines have at their best. They can seem a bit disjounted early, but with about five years of bottle age, they seem to come alive. You will be shocked at the alcohol levels, but these are not alcoholic wines at all. And if you are EVER in Amador County, this is a must visit, Milan is the character of all characters, and a total charm to taste with. Quite a few cellartracker notes on the wines Alan, check them out…

I love the Syrah as well, and again, mountain-grown/iron/slate with a more red berry tinge than black - and also in the 16%-17% alcohol range. His Milan Ruz table wine is the real sleeper, a blend of Syrah, Zin and Sangiovese.

Very envious.

This is the wine that got me hooked on Ridge. Looking forward to seeing your notes, Roy.

Didn’t know that today was Zin Day, sadly, my Bedrock comes in tomorrow. I’m giving the Bedrock Zins another whirl after passing on quite a few offerings.

Cheers.

2011 Bedrock Heritage Zin for tonight

Opening a 2009 carlisle zinfandel bedrock vineyard!