What's Going On With The 2010 Monprivato?

The wine apparently has not been released from the winery, at least not for importation into the U.S. Galloni has posted no tasting notes on this wine. I understand that Tanzer may have had access to it at some point, giving it a score within a range. The dirth of information regarding this wine seems really odd, as is its delayed entry into the marketplace. Does anyone have first hand experience with the 2010 Monprivato? Thanks.

Still macerating? [wink.gif]

(Sorry for poor joke. I’d love to buy some, but man the price has become prohibitive. Also, not sure longer if life prospects merit investing in newly released Monfortino?)

Btw, does Roberto still use similarly long macerations as his father and grandfather? I was not crazy about the wines the first few years after he took over the reins.

Geir: Let me unofficially welcome you to the board; it’s always good to have another Nebbiolo lover in the mix. This particular inquiry is in regard to G. Mascarello’s 2010 Monprivato.

Atomic level facepalm blush

I’ll just slink away, tail between my legs…

(I’d been mentioning Monfortino in other posts and read what was on my mind, not on the screen.)

It’s been a long time since I had a Monprivato. Usually very fond of Mascarello’s wines, but the Monprivato never had the biggest appeal, especially relative to price. I often preferred the Villero. Yet to taste a Ca’ de Morissio.

Thanks for the welcome [basic-smile.gif]

I’m not sure when the winery is releasing it, but my distributor has issued allocations. I don’t know how it tastes, but I do know that wholesale price is up 30+% from 09 (probably more distributor gouging than increase from the producer) and the wine is scarce. I received 1/5th the amount of last year…

It is available here in Europe.

Just recently made available in Norway too. 18% price hike.

Was offered by Crush today at $155 per.

A reliable merchant was telling me yesterday that 2010’s from almost all well-know producers are significantly up in price and down in allocation.

Not sure about the wines. I have had some problems with the local dist and pretty much stopped working with them. The dist, not the wines.

Monprivato is now available as a pre sale at a couple of major retailers. $155 is higher than what I’ve seen.

Second-ed.
It’s been a hot mess getting some wines.

The price hikes here in Quebec started with the currently available 2009, which at $154 is more than 50% higher than the 2008 was. And the hikes are across the board - the '09 Villero and Santo Stefano cost more than the '08 Monprivato did. Even if Mascarello did a great job in the hot '09 vintage, these prices seem hard to justify. I guess one could argue that the wines have been underpriced for years…?

Just tasted the 2010 Monprivato and the 2010 Villero at a tasting with Elena Mascarello here in Norway. Didn’t get much of a read on the Monprivato, very disjointed and giving it a score seems very difficult for me. Elena said one wouldn’t be able to get a good impression of the wine until next summer or so, when it’s had sufficient time to rest after bottling. The Villero however, was a stunning wine. Incredibly elegant and silky, and with a balance close to perfection.

Thanks for the note. Very useful.The Villero is substantially cheaper. I bought two bottles. If it’s as good as you describe it I might get more.

another take is that AG’s absurd score inflation has had repercussions for us common folk.

Except he didn’t like the 09s in general and the Monprivato in particular.

You may be able to blame him for the 2010’s but not the 09s.

Did Galloni even score the 10’?

He is supposed to be back in Piedmont shortly, but as of a week ago, no.

He scored it 93-95. Sounds like he hated it.