Virtual Tasting Series: Compendium 2014 - WB Charity

A Winebersekers Public Service Announcement.

As we rapidly approach the holiday season we have scheduled the second annual Virtual Tasting Series (VTS). The first event kicks off the week of Thanksgiving and runs through the following Tuesday giving those time to post a tasting note into the thread. Each week is hosted by a fellow Wineberserker who decides the theme, format, and the charity they’d like to support. You’ll see the thread as a sticky at the top of Wine Talk.

Matching Donations: if you’d like to co-host the current week by matching the donations then just post into that week’s thread “I’m matching” and any terms and conditions you’d like to add. A number of people have requested this and it’s a great idea so have look below and pick a week you’d be interested in matching.

Week__Date_____Theme / Host - Charity

1. NOV24 - DEC2 - Pinot Noir / Frank Murray - Laura’s House
  2. DEC2 - DEC9 - Something New & Different / Alan C h a n - 3 NYC Charities
  3. DEC9 - DEC16 - Historic Vineyards / Larry Piggin - Peter Tryba Kidney Transplant Fund
  4. DEC16 - DEC23 - Craft Beer Intermezzo / Carlos Delpin - Make A Wish Foundation
  5. DEC23 - DEC30 - Blends / Erich Sachse - Profugo (http://www.profugo.org)
  6. DEC30 - JAN6 - Bubbles!!! / Scott Brunson - local homeless shelter
  7. JAN6 - JAN13 - Favorite QPR & Daily Drinkers / Robert Alfert - American Diabetes Association
  8. JAN 13 - JAN20 - Cote du Beaune / David Bueker - Dakin Humane Society

Here’s the Compendium for the 21 VTS events we ran in 2013 all goodness.

OK - updated the top post with the legend, rules, and regulations. Also with the confirmed hosts and there are two open slots left, supplies are limited.

Hey champagne drinkers, who wants New Years!?!?

Erich Sachse has requested the week of Christmas and has an absolutely brilliant theme! I’m gealous I didn’t think of it first.

He’ll donate $1 per grape variety in a blend for every tasting note, awesome. Looks like I’ll be opening some CdP that week, aren’t there 13 approved varieties for the red? BDX always has a few too so we should see lots of activity.

Erich’s charity is Profugo (http://www.profugo.org) who is focused on making the world a better place, very nice.

OK Brig–I’ll do the New Year week but I need to make sure I can afford donation from the lake of bubbles.
My charity will be local and will involve a new homeless shelter. I’ll post more info later.

Hey Brig -

Sorry I did not jump in to play before the year closes. I will step up for any week in January, you pick the week. I’ll come up with some themes, but how about the first post-holiday week in January, the “we are poor from the holidays, value-play theme” or I go straight geeky on something like Loire Cab Franc, the thread dies, and I beg Fu to bail me out?

I’m thinking the American Diabetes Association. I may form a cycling team for the local ADA century ride coming up in March.

Thanks again for getting this started. The positive vibes from these charitable themes is awesome. You are a good man. I will even crack my one and only Burg for the FMIII thread.

You don’t have to advertise the dontion amount or/and make it a fixed amount. Something like “if we get over 30 bubbles TNs l’ll make a contribution to my local shelter”

Thanks for playing.

Get that nasty burg out of your cellar!

Super, I added a QPR theme after New Years. That’s perfect and hopefully we’ll get people to match along the way for the other weeks. I’ll be playing the matching game myself and the QPR theme has my name all over it.

OK - we are off an running with FMIII and Pinot Noir. Let's Give Thanks--Post A Pinot Noir TN, I'll Donate To Laura's House (11/24 - 11/30) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

See the top post for more details.

For those sponsoring the following weeks, fear not, I’ll will handle all the logistics, thread, etc. You’ll receive a PM from me a few days before your are up to put the final touches on the theme.

Start pulling corks!

Burg on tap!

OK we are off and running with week two, see the sticky thread in Wine Talk with this week’s host Amatueur Wino! A list of the future themes is at the top of this thread.

Let’s start experimenting!

Scott W has offered to match Alan’s donation of $5 per note For week 2, thank you sir.

Thanks to Anthony for sponsoring another case of beer via raffle for week two, they’re killer beers. Post a note and you’re half way there to winning some delicious craft beers…

OK, we’re off to the races

DEC9 - DEC16 - Historic Vineyards / Larry Piggin - Peter Tryba Kidney Transplant Fund

Always a favorite with the WB crowd. We’re live.

DEC16 - DEC23 - Craft Beer Intermezzo / Carlos Delpin - Make A Wish Foundation

I see a Beacastel vertical in my future! Good one Erich!

OK, Erich’s week is live and it’s a good one. Blends and includes Ports, Champagne, Bordeaux, field blends, etc.

If you post a note on Beuacastel he’ll donate $13, awesome. Plus he’s giving away a 2011 Saxum James Berry and 1998 Le Vieux Donjon in the raffle.

Posted week 6 here, bubbles for NYE

Such an amazing story of human compassion by children. Their teacher must be proud! [cheers.gif]

I will step up to host the week after QPR. Give me a couple of days to come up with a theme.

Ok David, got it.

PSA, Anthony is raffling off another case of craft beer for this week’s Bubbles theme. Post a note in that thread, it’s that easy. Superb cause too.

Robert’s QPR and Daily drinkers tasting for the American diabetes association is live

Next week it will be Cotes du Beaune wines to benefit the Dakin Humance Society :slight_smile:

More details to come.