TN: 2005 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select

• 2005 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District (10/29/2014)
    Drinking this while watching the 7th game of the World Series. This is a huge wine, probably too young but really good nonetheless. The bouquet is enormous, filling the glass with notes of blueberries, slight vanilla, and dark fruits. The wine is very dark in color. In the mouth, the tannins are velvety, coating the inside of your mouth.

This has a long life ahead. Glad I have plenty more. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Jim. Real nice.

I’m glad you helped get me into this wine. I managed to purchase one bottle of the 2005 and will be waiting at least three to five years before I open it. I also picked up a 2009 which was easier to find.

Good luck with the game.

Jim, great note. Had one of these earlier this year and loved, showed all the greatness of the unheralded 2005 vintage. Completely agreed it has a long life, wish I had more than 1 bottle left.

Nice note,
Cute girl.

Thanks. You too!

Glad you found some. It’s a great wine, year in and year out.

Seriously, this is the Rob Lowe of Cult Wines. Hugely modern, relevant, and ages effortlessly.

lulz [welldone.gif]

So which are the Super Creepy and the Painfully Awkward Rob Lowes? :wink:

Jim,

A friend is bringing this to an event Sunday. What decant time would you recommend?

and I thought Jody’s was funny. well played. Wish I had bought more of the 05 HSS but realized a few years later that the 05 vintage in Napa would be one of my all time favorites. Keep the notes coming Jim.

If I had thought about it, I would have decanted it in the morning. 12 hours seems about right.

thanks

I’ve been fortunate enough to have tried the '01, '03, '04, and '07. I most recently had the 04 at a lunch at a conference. This wine never disappoints. With the exception of the '02 which is obnoxiously expensive, you can still find the '04 and I would gather the '05 as well at prices pretty close to their original release price.

I would really like to try some HSS from the 90’s to see how it ages, but I would be interested to hear from people who have had both 90’s and 00’s HSS recently.