Sabbatical From Wine - 3 Weeks

It’s time for my annual break from wine for 3 weeks. The first two days are the most difficult as I temporarily break the wonderful sense of ease of the evening with 2 glasses of wine. Lately, from exhaustion from the day, and relaxation from the wine, I’ve also been eating junk at night (i.e., Fun Size Skittles) which creates listlessness in exercising in the morning. The 3 weeks begins 5, 4, 3, 2, 1: Start! flirtysmile

Good luck.

I did a week while on vacation in September. It wasn’t hard, except when I was having a really good meal with an obvious wine pairing.

Yes good for you. I did 6 weeks when we first moved here. I wish I could say it led to a greater feeling of wellbeing or sounder sleep.

But it didn’t.

Longer than Tex lasted…

Since August 1st of this year, I have had a total of 6 glasses of wine. An occasional Old Fashion, or an occasional beer. Previously I would have had (at least) 2 glasses of wine a night.
I have a greater feeling of well being and better sleep. It is entirely possible said well being etc., is due to a return to yoga and 6-11 mile hikes every day.
Not likely I will return to my previous consumption.

Dain

So, is this for health reasons? Some version of flogging?

If not for health reasons, why complete abstinence?

That would be the reason.

[quote=“jdietz”]So, is this for health reasons? Some version of flogging?

If not for health reasons, why complete abstinence?[/quote

Health: Wine = calories + wine-induced consumption of ‘munchies’ = more calories, + ‘listlessness’ to exercise adds more weight (I’ve gained 4 lbs. in last few weeks)

Discipline: I think can = I know I can = Yes, I have discipline in my life = Feels good

Indeed likely. Since my retirement, I have been taking 9 classes a week, plus individual classes with my teacher, and personal practice. Cathy and I are training for a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trial, scheduled for spring of 2016. I certainly haven’t lost my taste for vino, but I certainly don’t need it to relax anymore. I won’t miss the calories either. I have lost 25+ lbs since August and do not want them back. Blood pressure and cholesterol have dropped like a stone as well. Lots to be said for retirement and physical/mental/spiritual training.

Dain

Agreed. 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies backcountry, hiking every day, made sleep very easy, with or wthout wine.

Congratulations. I love yoga. I find it to be physically challenging, a good work out, and relaxing all at the same time. My only issue is that I get to practice yoga infrequently as the classes by me (especially with the teachers that I like) are held at times that are much better suited for a non-working spouse or retiree. Kind of tough for me to get to the 10am Tuesday flow class.

Quiters never win…

Typically, I get up at 4:40 AM each morning to either run 4-6 miles or weight lift. Starting the day this way is fabulous. It’s my favorite part of the day because by the time I finish, I feel great, and it’s still dark and quiet at home to reflect upon the impending day.

you guys are alcoholics ;p I routinely go 2-3 weeks without drinking wine ;p

I must be a dry drunk then, I have forgotten how to spell evidently. That would be Appalachian TRAIL…not trial. Surprised you guys let me get away with that :wink:.

Hiking it IS a trial!!

You’re hiking in the wrong places.

I understand. That was always my problem too, schedules of classes are not convenient for the working folks all that often. I like having a personal practice but quite honestly it is hard to maintain. I do better in a structured class, albeit I am getting better about doing my own asana.

Dain

That’s just so you can save up for the next two bottles you’re going to buy!

3 weeks in Japan. Sake only. No wine though they are developing a wine industry but I haven’t tasted any of them.