what are you most likely to grab with traditional red sauce, cheese & meat pizza?

what are you most likely to grab with traditonal red sauce, cheese & meat pizza? (choose one)

• 1. Barbera
  • 2. Dolcetto
  • 3. Chianti
  • 4. Rosso Di Montilcino
  • 5. Brunello
  • 6. red Burgundy
  • 7. Oregon PN
  • 8. CA PN
  • 9. Nero Di Avola
  • 10. Cru Beaujolais
  • 11. Frappato
  • 12. Rose
  • 13. Zinfandel
  • 14. Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 15. Syrah
  • 16. CDP Blend
  • 17. Red Bandol
  • 18. Cab Franc
  • 19. Etna Rosso
  • 20. You missed the most obvious choice, see my post

0 voters

Tonight I’m opening a 2011 Del Glacine La Sconsolata Barbera D Alba but I’ve also reached for; Cote Beaune red Burgundy, Brunello, Dolcetto, Cru Beaujolais, Bandol, Chianti, Etna Rosso, Oregon PN and some Zins. How about you?

I could try to be chic and say it depends on the pizza, but I pretty much just grab Chianti or RdM with all of them. Safe, yes. Boring, no. I love Chianti.

No CdR! Flawed poll.

Usually Tuscan, but mostly whatever I feel like drinking.

That said, Chianti’s an easy call with red sauce pizza. I’m also a huge fan of Zin with pepperoni pizza (although it’s gotta be one with enough acidity).

Multiple choice. Zin, Syrah, Chianti, CdP

I said Zin though I’d be happy with CdR or anything Italian. My first great wine experience was 1985 Ridge Geyserville with pizza.

Something with fruit on the red spectrum, ample acidity and tame tannins. Tonight, that’s a simple Faiveley 2012 Bourgogne Rouge with a mushroom, pepperoni, pepper and onion pizza made under the broiler on a pizza steel.

I voted Chianti, which is probably correct without actually checking notes, but have also opened plenty of Sicilian (Etna , Nero, etc) , Campanian, and other southern Italians as well (Ciro). The poll should have a place for Aglianico/Taurasi as well. But especially if red sauce is fresh, and meats are not dominant, white wines do well with pizza.

Dale, any white wine recs in particular? Thx.

Zin!

I agree with Alex, CdR!

Carlisle Sonoma zin

DRC…

:wink:

I’d throw Montepulciano in the mix as well Craig - It’s a pretty popular “mass gulped” red in Italy and the serious offerings are pretty stunning. Mainly from The Marches and Abruzzo but it flows like water in much of Italy -

Rioja usually, but no real preference. I do pizza once a week and drink whatever I feel like opening. And I never use mozzarella, which is too insipid, and I can’t remember the last time I put meat on the pizza either.

valpolicella is also quite good with it. As is cote du rhones.

A young fruit driven Port. Such as a Ruby Reserve, young LBV, or VP.

It´s logic that Zin leads this poll, being an italian grape pileon
I would open a Conterno CF Barbera or a CC Riserva or a Diego Molinari Montalcino Rosso

Based mainly on cellar composition, I take the opportunity to knock down a Bedrock zin. In the past, it would have been a cote du rhone.