Misserey's The River Of The World

Everybody row!

I have had quite a few old wines from Misserey et Frere and to a man they have been terrific. Last night we opened a 1947 P.Misserey et Frere Vosne-Romanee. This was a Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin bottling and was immediately expressive. It had some brown spice, chocolate and smoked meat aromas. In the mouth it was quite silky with a brown sugar vinous sweetness and some salami meat flavour. It became more floral with air and was really quite ethereal releasing all sorts of engaging tertiary aromas and flavours. It finished with a sprinkling of salt and was incredibly persistent after swallowing.

Cheers
Jeremy

I love your notes on the Misserey wines Jeremy -

The first domaine that I ever visited in Burgundy back in the early 1980s was the Misserey firm. Marc Misserey was in his late 80s at the time, and he dealt with a wonderful little importer in Chicago who turned me on to the wines. I went with him to visit the domaine and they literally opened up their cellars to me back then. Their vineyards were pretty much all in Nuits St-Georges and those I feel were always their best wines. Aside from the current released back then, Marc let me purchase cases of wine from all of the late 1940s vintages through the late 1950s and I cut my teeth on them. Their 1952 Les St-Georges was probably my favorite of those lots back then. And, their 1978 Bourgogne Rouge - Hautes Cotes de Nuits is still my all time favorite “Bourgogne Rouge” that I’ve ever tasted.

Keep 'em coming Jeremy - I’m living my youth through you as I no longer have any of their fabled old bottles left…

Thanks again for the information Thomas. This board is a wonderful collection of knowledge and experiences.

Best Regards
Jeremy