TN: 2013 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Bien Nacido Vineyard

• 2013 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Bien Nacido Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (10/24/2014)
    Delivery at 2pm, popped at 5.
    Color a very faint shade of the prettiest crimson crossed with ruby, this is very see-through and very cool. Nose of red raspberries, huckleberry and cardamom with an almost imperceptible note of violets, almost. The palate reveals a deftly balanced wine with tons of verve and some interesting minerality. I get some sandalwood too. As it sits the violets come out more and the aromatics start shooting upward. I am amazed at its balance and almost lilty-ness that really carries across your tongue and that just never drop or vere-off. Tannins are restrained and acidity weightless. Finish holds true and sure. Youth, verve, power and finesse all wrapped up in a nice little package. An amazing wine that will pair well with some wild boar sausage, couscous and blackberry reduction sauce in just about an hour… (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Diane! [cheers.gif]

I am sooooooo onto you guys and gals, it’s like fight club, nobody talks of these awesome wines because if they do you think it ruins it for you old-time listers.
I get it. I am slow on the uptake.
:slight_smile:

Well, Mike, thank you for your note and I am certainly pleased that you discovered Ed’s label. I am a big fan of his wine and of the man, himself. I imagine I will open this wine, and the other 2013’s in a few years. I have one more 2010, but will probably leave that for a while as I check on 2011.

Happy exploration.

Mike – great note. So many gorgeous Cali Pinots coming up these days. So little time. I will look out for Sandler though, I haven’t had it yet.

I see lots of 10’s - 12’s available in northern Cal … if I were to snag one bottle to try, which would Sandler lovers recommend? Something reflective of the brand and ready to drink.

Got my Sandler and August West today but will sit for a few years. Ed make really good QPR wines. Have never been disappointed.

Same here. My Sandler and August West arrived yesterday, along with 6 bottles of 2012 Sandler Karamy that I forgot I had ordered. I’m a happy camper!!!

This is only my second Sandler. I had a Boer from '11 that got me interested to look deeper. Others here have so much more to add I am sure…

Just popped the 2012 Bien Nacido. This wine rocks…wish I had more but this was my only one. Anybody give me an idea how the 2013 compares to the 2012?

I remember Ed told me at Falltacular this year that the 2013 Bien Nacido was going to be a step up in quality from the 2012. But I haven’t had the 2013 yet.

So, as the author of this thread, one that thought the 2013 double-rocked, but yet not having the 2012, if you take Chris’ info above: I could not image that if you grabbed 3 2013s from Ed right now and held it for say… a year, you would find yourself in the same position next year and maybe moreso, but the big difference is when you get to wishing you had more in your cellar part you will actually smile once you remember…you do! :relaxed:

We are expanding our horizons, aren’t we? [grin.gif]. Great note, Mike, glad you enjoyed it so much. Count me as another fan of pretty much everything Ed.

Mike

The 2012 was my first Sandler so I had no other reference. Sounds like I can pick up some 13’s instead of trying to locate 12’s somewhere. I guess I better try some other Sandler wines as well.
Thanks for the response

Hi Charles, I just ‘ran’ through the most recent 2013 offerings. I really liked the Bien Nacido and the Boer. I enjoyed the Peterson as well.
These are serious wines worthy of serious considerations. I have more en route to me as we speak. I will hold these until next summer’s deck season.

[cheers.gif]

Mike, I have not had this much fun with exploring new wines since the early 80’s. [cheers.gif]

With awesome recent threads like the NZ Pinot thread and the Santa Maria Pinot thread, I can’t help but feel the passion and knowledge many here have and are willing to share. I have always felt that way about the Napa Cab crew here and on early EBOB, but for some reason this level exhibited is truly different and inspiring. After every read I go to wine-searcher and try to locate some of the wines mentioned. Just awesome stuff!

Mike, I’m a big fan of both Sandler and August West wines. They both have their own unique style. But whether it’s the SVD or blends, I’m always impressed and have been buying for a number of years. And the price is pretty hard to beat! Thanks for the great note.

Mike -
It is fun to be a bystander and watch your exploration into the world of Pinot, especially given your past support and vocal championing of all things cabernet. Your tasting notes and commentary are fun to read.
Both your exploration, and FMIII’s transition into the world of Burgundy and, to a certain extent, away from big new world pinot noir and syrah, are enjoyable to follow, particularly given both the passion and wonder expressed in your respective explorations.

I buy anything Ed is involved with.

Always interesting, never been disappointed.

By the way, I stumbled across a few bottles of the Karamy white that were hiding from me. I opened one and quite liked it.

Can anyone tell me the grapes in this ?

Thanks in advance.

Bob,

Nice to see you on here. Try to guess what the grapes are in this white. I’ll give you a clue, there are two, and they’re often found together in blends.

Bob, the Karamy for me was one of those wines that make you smack yourself on the forehead because you didn’t buy more. I had no idea what to expect so I didn’t buy many. Then they were gone…forever…doh

I can tell you the 2012 Bien Nacido is lovely now. I just had it Wednesday - vibrant, balanced, very nice. I have one more and think it will be a great accompaniment to our Thanksgiving dinner.