A sin; but is it venial, cardinal, mortal, or eternal?

The wine delivery thread and length of wait before opening mentions resting time for sediment and the fact that sediment gets kicked up by the very act of handling and opening a bottle. This made me feel compelled to confess…

Sometimes, I will decant through a paper coffee filter or unscented, un-dyed paper filters.

I’ve tried doing this with new release bottles and compared tastes, and no one has ever been able to identify the filtered vs. unfiltered in trials. It seems to satisfy the command, “First, do no harm.”

With older sedimented wines, I get to empty the whole bottle (‘rescuing’ the dregs) with filtering, and I think the lack of sediment that appears even with careful “normal” pouring makes for more enjoyment of a much larger portion of the bottle.

Is this blasphemy?

Some folks actually consume the sediment. IIRC a very well respected and admired member here who even has wine terms named after him, professed to this in one of his threads.

My confession…

I’ve inadvertently - and later, purposefully - left a bit of sediment from one bottle in the glass and poured different wine on top of the sediment and have noticed that sometimes it can impart some of the characteristics of the first wine to the second, even to the point of improving the second wine.

I reckon you should copyright that technique - maybe calling it… “ripasso” [cheers.gif]

Someone here – Beaunehead? – posted that sediment in old wines can really hurt a wine, unlike young sediment, and therefore for an old wine, it should stand up long enough to let all of the sediment drift down to the bottom. Based on my experiences since then, I strongly agree with this. Old sediment is yucky.

Aubert de Villaine likes sediment. So do I sometimes. But not in old wines. I just opened a 1970 Beychevelle this weekend and it came out pure and clear like a river and I really like to see that.

Champneyed?

“I Pobegad that bottle as soon as it arrived, and then Champneyed the next bottle when we opened it.”

Pedant alert!
The sin cannot be eternal, as only God is eternal and obviously sin-free.
However, a sin that arises after creation and persists indefinitely is called sempiternal.
(Thanks to the Hollander translation notes from the Inferno-a damned good read it is).

Sam

Fascinating. I grew up a Catholic and we were taught there was one main “eternal sin”…

Mark 3:28-30: “Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin.”

Thanks for your reply. I love learning about new stuff!

[/quote] I love learning about new stuff![/quote]

Me too!
Love getting them brain cells tickled by something new.