Paul Pernot - info?

I’ve been trying to learn more about chardonnay in the past few months, mostly by drinking it.

Last night I had a 2012 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc that was one of the best chards I’ve had. Deep nose, seamless palate, good acidity, not overly oaky. I could easily have drained a bottle.

Curious what folks thing of this producer? The village Puligny-Montrachet is a pretty steep price hike from the Bourgogne - is it worth it? Jasper Morris is down on the wines in Inside Burgundy, saying there’s good material but they’re rustic. This wine was anything but rustic!

Just wanted to see if there were other opinions on this producer.

Thanks,
Michael

One of my personal favorites. Excellent producer.

I agree with Don. The Bourgogne Blanc may be, year-in and year-out, the best value white in Burgundy’s main drag.

Thanks, gents. Don, I know you buy the high-end stuff as well. Is the village worth the jump in price?

Michael

Terrific wines - the villages Puligny is great.

Their 1er and grand crus are also amazing for the money… I load up on them every year. Very consistent as well.

I’d never call Pernot wines rustic; occasionally they’ve been on the exotic side, meaning tropical hints, but in a very enjoyable way. Their Puligny Folatières is a personal favorite.

I have noticed a definite uptick in the quality of white Bourgognes available these days; I’ve had several bottles so far from a six pack of Faiveley’s 2010 and all have been entirely satisfying, and a screaming deal @ $15 (sale price).

i think they are becoming more tropical now, in the early 2000’s, late 90’s their wines weren’t rustic… but not as opulent as they are now. Either way, very good producer at a good value. Pricing has been creeping up but not crazy yet

100% agree here. I’m not sure where the rusticity impressions come from. The Folatieres is also one of my personal favorites but the straight villages is good stuff, blows away most domestics at the same price point. There are exceptions, of course.

Love Pernot Folatieres.

If you step up get the Garennes or Folitieres. It is worth the dollars versus the village My opinion only. The Bourgogne Blanc is an exceptional value for the quality.

What does it even mean for a white wine to be rustic? I tend to think of rustic in terms of red wines with rough/unrefined tannins, but obviously that use has no application to white wines.

Don’t have my copy of Inside Burgundy at work, but I don’t think he gave further details. Seemed an odd remark to me.

Michael

How’s the Aligote?

As I recall, there were some problems with this producer and premox in the past, but my recollection may be flawed here.

I had a bottle of 2008 Pernot Meursault-Blagny 1er Cru in Paris recently at the Ambassades de Bourgogne and thought it the best of the white Burgs I tried all week there. Very elegant, long in the mouth, really impressive. The 87 points from Tanzer on this wine (I would give it 93) is hard to understand.

We had 04 Bienvenue last month and it was incredible.
WOTN up against serious competition