2012 Hauts de Pontet Canet demoted to Vin de France

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2014/10/pontet-canet-second-wine-relegated-to-table-wine

Amphorae? What does Parker think of that?

My frustration as a consumer would be that the cost of obtaining the Pauillac status would have been sold on to me when I bought the futures. What is the relevancy of the official tasting panel if “Fortunately, my négociant customers have put their trust in me”? Isn’t the point of AOC to reduce the risk of buying a wine that doesn’t taste like what you expect? If Pontet’s clients already trust Pontet why pay (and charge trusting customers) to continue the process
of a tasting panel? Where’s the value added?

Perhaps a more salient question is “why was the wine rejected?”.

Would you really be frustrated if it didn’t say Pauillac?

It seems to me that the general public whom buy this type of wine is buying based on reputation of the estate.
I would be pissed if I was the consumer and liked the house style and found out that it had changed, using amphorae and less new oak.
To me that sounds like an interesting project as less new oak for my taste is always good, but if someone who loved the house style that Pontet created in the 00’s had bought futures with the idea that it would have the same profile as earlier vintages, I could understand them being put out.

Not at all frustrated at a lack of Pauillac. Frustrated at the cost associated with trying to obtain the status under the assumption that, as a long time customer, I trusted the estate regardless of the status.

Assuming I but Pontet year in and year out I would be irritated that Pontet applied for the status next year.

That said your point about change in house style is very relevant. My closing question in my last post (why did it not pass the taste test) was aimed at this point. You’ve stated the question/concern much more eloquently. I don’t have an insight to this but I do have my own guesses (being someone that drinks a lot of amphorae wines!).

So now can I get their second wine for peanuts?

It’s probabaly going to go for more now that it’s ‘different’, it’s now geeky that it’s declassified.

The article intimates that the change in barrel treatment & adoption of Biodynamics have a lot to do with it. If so, that seems reactionary at best/stupid at worst. It isnt as though they are trying to pass off a Carignan/Gamay blend as Paulliac.

I don’t buy futures, but I’d likely buy a VdF bottle or two at retail just to see what the grand departure from other Paulliac wines tastes like.