TN: 1998 Domaine Trapet (Jean et Jean-Louis) Chambertin

• 1998 Domaine Trapet (Jean et Jean-Louis) Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru (10/18/2014)
    Like a battleship with 12" guns, this means business. Dark, backward, but admirably structured, too. Acids, length, fruit, they’re all there, but without a 12 hour decant, it’s not wont to show all that’s there. The CT window of 2018, uh, no. I’d put this as good till 2040, and wouldn’t touch one for 15 years (when the fruit begins to fan out) if I had it in the cellar. Juicy, sprinkled with green olive, this offers loads of fresh acids and pencil thin, very fine and firm tannins. Treat this with respect. highly recommended

Aerated to decanter 2 hours (needs 12-24), served non-blind.

Posted from CellarTracker

Until the price finally caught and exceeded quality, this was my “value” Chambertin from 96 to 05. This struck me as a case where a new generation turning around the estate didn’t hit the radar for almost a decade.

+1. I think I still have a bottle or two of the 98 GC’s. Domaine underrated over that period. Last vintage I bought was the 2006 after which it was no longer brought into NZ.

The 06s are where I finally passed. Prices skyrocketed in part due to dollar vs. euro, but the reputation finally matched quality, and with that killer currency…

Latricieres was a great GC secret in that era, too

I have a few of the 1985 Chambertins and Chapelle-Chambertins in my cellar, reluctantly making my way through them. Absolutely fabulous wines, drinking incredibly well this year. Wish I could find more of them.