Aged Monsanto II Poggio...Tell me about your experiences.

While perusing though Binny’s, I noticed some end of bin sales on some aged Monsanto Poggio. I wasn’t real impressed with the price (just north of 125 bucks), until I saw the age. After speaking with one of their associates, I found that these were recent ex-cellar releases and were in the Binny’s cellar for a few years. I decided to take a flyer and picked up a '68 and a '77. One of the reasons behind my purchase was that I don’t really get a chance to buy things with this type of age from retail. Also, Binnys is a pretty up and up operation, and if these are dead, I will get a refund.

A little research showed that the estate holds back a few thousand bottles every vintage, and has been doing so since the 60’s. The only things I could find about library releases were some publication from forbes, and another source that was light in information.

So tell me more about these wines. When do they have library releases? Are they scarce? Are they good? Assuming provenance is good, they should be the best representation available on the market.

What say you?

I grabbed a 68 as well and was thinking of returning for the 77. Keith suggested that they have received good reviews.

Did they tell you where they came from?

I buy a lot of old Monsanto and would stress the importance of provenance. A 1985 il Poggio CCR was the best mature Italian wine I’ve ever had, and the one good bottle of the '90 I’ve had was pretty tasty as well. But I’ve had maybe 4 bottles that were just completely DOA. I might inquire before purchasing about the specifics of their refund policy–will they give you cash or store credit back if the bottle is simply extremely advanced/slightly oxidized, or only if it’s an utterly stinking wreck? Also, I think Monsanto fell into a rut in the 1990’s, so I wouldn’t buy anything from say 1991 onwards. $130 is a fine price if the bottles have reliable provenance and especially if you’ll get a refund for lemons–on Winebid I usually pay $90-$110 for old Il Poggio CCR.

Agreed on the '85, utterly gorgeous. Hated that the bottle had to end. Hated more that I didn’t have any others in the cellar, nor have I come across any others in the meantime.

I guess that makes me a hater [snort.gif]

Keith’s recco on the '77 is nice to hear. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

How Old? Did I/We do well in our purchases of '68 & '77 for 125?

I love the 1983 Il Poggio, had it several times, still going strong.

I’ve had the '85 twice and it came out of the gates really strong (with an amazing bouquet), but both bottles faded fairly fast once open.

Thanks a lot, now I’ve got to find some '83s [head-bang.gif]

Let me know if you do! It isn’t as exotic as the 85, being more structured and reserved. I have one more bottle, we should take it for a drive.

They got a cellar release from Monsanto.

Corey,

I’d head back and grab that 77.

Over the years this winery has released a number of their cellar wines. My father and I bought the initial releases starting from the late 70s and up until dad passed in 2001 we also still bought some of the cellar releases… I remember some of the early wines like 68 and 71 were stunning. I would especially recommend the 77… It has always been a fine wine and only has gotten better. Please post your tasting notes… I am so jealous! Cheers, Bob

Great luck with older vintages, especially '85 and '78 but a lot of corked or oth bottles in their too.

Edit: Called and grabbed last two 77s.

Just went down to the cellar to give a proper inspection. I would say both vintages possess a similar amount of sediment and while the 68 appears to be a paler red in color, the 77 seems to be ruby red. Fills are both vts, almost into neck. Interesting notes on CT. I can’t wait to give these a whirl. Any suggestions other than let stand for a week, and no decant? Anyone that has had these recently…can you think of a good pairing for each?

Anyone had the 06 Il Poggio?

Great year in Tuscany, and the regular Monsanto Riserva is quite good that year… Makes me wonder how good the Il Poggio 06 might be.

gwagner, I’ve bought as old as 1964. But those are on the secondary market with a high failure rate–if you can get them with any sort of provenance/refund guarantee, then $125 is an outstanding price.

I used to buy a lot of Poggio. It was my favorite Chianti and at one point I managed a list and had 4 vintages at the same time. The producer frequently releases older vintages to show how well they age. The quality on these are top notch but make no mistake that you are still getting old Sangiovese and that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I had the 77 yesterday afternoon, admittedly out ofthe winery’s cellar so with perfect provenance. It was a bit funky at first but 15 minutes of air allowed the wine to stretch its legs lively. Still showing just a hint of tnnin onthe finish still, rich tobacco and dusty spice framing tart red berry fruits on the palate which was silky and moderately rich. These are really top class Chiantis and age as well as Sangiovese can. Having said that, Sangio of this aegis not improving so I would suggest enjoying them sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the info guys…keep it coming.

Are these going to be delicate? Food pairing?