1992 Leflaive Puligny Montrachet Pucelles

Just wanted to give a quick shout for this wine that showed so well at a Burgundy dinner in Chicago last night.

It was clearly the consenses white WOTN among quite a few other GC’s. Showed excellent freshness considering its age and such enjoyable and concentrated honey extract along with hints of lemon curd underneath. Lovely, elegant texture with good depth and with good energy still. A good reminder of the great rewards aged white burgundy can provide.

No surprise. The 93s are also showing dazzlingly imho…
(okay, okay, I’ve only had 2 but BBlanc and Pucelles)

was my WOTN. stunning bottle.

other favorites were the 93 RSV, 98 roumier bonnes mares, 96 dp oeno

The 92 Chevy is one of the top five white Burgs of my life.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Can anyone comment on how the 94 Pucelles and Chevy are drinking?

Don’t wait Fred. For me they are past peak and slowly declining in quality.

92 = best year ever for Leflaive . They never made anything close after , unfortunately . The 1992 Chevalier montrachet is also one of the best white wines I ever tasted .

I’ll chime in with another vote for the 92 Leflaive Chevalier - a great wine. The Pucelles was also a GC quality bottle.

I’m in complete agreement about Leflaive’s '92s, although in a joint interview I read years ago both Anne-Claude and Pierre Morey didn’t rate the vintage as one of their best, to my great surprise.

I still think it’s the white Burgundy vintage from which I’ve had the most consistently excellent results; I had great hopes for '95 and '96, but, alas… (and for some dumb reason I passed on the '93s.)

I’ll be the contrarian and go with 96 as my favorite “modern” Leflaive vintage. Happy memories of the 92 Chevy in particular, but not a vintage–unlike 96–for the really long haul.

carl,

Premature oxidation has dampened my enthusiasm for any vintages post 1995, but unaffected bottles can be terrific.

Fred never listens to me. Has to get opinion from white guys to confirm [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Fu, it’s because you’re too young. [wink.gif]

Frank, one of the delights of Leflaive’s '96s is precisely their low–for me no–incidence of premox. I’ve never thought my experience was out of the ordinary in this regard, but I feel your pain if you’ve had problems. I’d add that–again in my own experience–Leflaive was among the handful of “good guys” up until at least the 02 vintage when some issues began to be reported. Anyway, in truth I wasn’t focussing on premox in arriving at my assessment of the quality of the vintage.

I’m with Frank (though Carl has been the contrarian in posts of mine) that the oxidation incidence is high post '96. Though in agreement with Carl, the '96 Chevalier especially and other GC have been the best when in correct shape for me and Leflaive.

I’m going to jump in here.
89 Chevalier is still improving and slays 92 head to head.

And how do you feel about the 82 Chet?

Carl

I have had 83 5 and 6, not 82. Leflaive pre Pierre Morey did great in 83.
Generally I like 82’s but they are diffuse.
Hope you are well.

Doing fine Chet, hope you are as well. I have fond memories of a mag of the 83 Batard a few years ago, though my one encounter with the 82 Chevalier really made a lasting impression.

Does anyone have an opinion on how long the 2012’s will go. Say Pucelles or Chevs?

Considering to buy some birth year bottles and not sure I’m comfortable with the PYCM’s going two decades. After trying the '12 Bourgogne Blanc it seemed more on the modern side.