Barolo and Barbaresco 2010 (Vintage Talk)

I’ve been reading about the pricing of the 2010 Barolo on another thread, but was curious about any initial tasting notes from others on the 2010s. I know these wines aren’t meant to be ready for many years and I certainly don’t have the experience to judge how they will evolve, but found most of a small selection I tried this week to be a gum-numbing experience of very high acid and equally powerful tannins. As one taster commented, there is no need to use dental floss when you can have these wines instead. Tasting included: 2010 Brezza Barolo, 2010 Brezza Barolo Cannubi, 2010 Brezza Barolo Sarmassa, 2010 Rivella Serafina Barbaresco Montestefano, 2010 Cascina Luisin Barbaresco and the 2010 Cascina Luisin Barbaresco Sori Paolin. The only exception to the high acid/power tannins was the 2010 Rivella Serafina Barbaresco Montestefano which I thought could be enjoyed now. Indeed it was very enjoyable.

Don’t we have like 4 active threads on Piedmont at the moment? :wink:

I love it so I won’t complain but would like the threads merged for easier reading :slight_smile:

Why? They break up the 3,000,000 active threads about Burgundy, SQN, Rhys and Bedrock.

You can you expand a bit more on your Brezza experience. I purchased a few of them.

Some observations.
1 2010 is a great vintage for Barolo. One of the best in the last 25 years.
2 Brezza has been a mostly disappointing producer. Maybe they have turned it around. But they will have to prove that as they have dug a deep hole.
3 Cannubi on paper and in history is given far more acclaim than you will find in the bottle/glass. Occasionally there is greatness in the area, but it is hard to believe that Brezza is the producer to bring it out.
4 Many of the wines made today will drink better at a younger age. No they will never be like California or Australia, and we are happy about that, but young wines have never tasted better. 6-8 years is no longer a crime against wine.
5 The 2008s have turned out far better than most, including me, initially judged them to be. It is a sneaky good vintage.
6 Not 1200% sure of this or why it would be, but recent even vintages seem to slightly favor Barolo. With odd vintages slightly favoring Barbaresco. 2001 may/may not fall into this pattern.

I have never previously bought or tasted Brezza. I should open a bottle of the 2010 and see for myself.

i’ve heard good things about the 2010 stable from Burlotto. haven’t received my wines yet, but will give one or two a try. especially looking forward to the Monvigliero. also eagerly awaiting the Cappellano’s to hit the US market. will probably buy a bunch of those.

Very high acid and equally powerful tannins? Yes that is the classic build for Barolo. It can make tasting these on release a very tortuous process (producers often put out a small plate of salami, cheese, bread and water to help the palate adapt). Tasting at the Festa del Barbaresco (a simple walkround tasting) without such niceties showed how quickly the palate can become tired faster than most other wines. Recent years have seen many producers attempt to tame the tannins or get bolder fruit - to make the wines more approachable in youth, but for me I still trust the classic style for 20-40 year aging (but do appreciate many of the newer style as well).

High tannins and bright (but not OTT) acidity are generally held as key elements to ageing nebbiolo, but both can be for nothing if the fruit dies away too quickly and leaves this firm structure left as a bare skeleton. I think it’s quite easy to assess tannins/acidity, but whether the fruit will hold and develop with age is IMO much more difficult.

So to 2010. Those that I’ve tasted and liked have been very good indeed - potentially very special. Schiavenza certainly impressed in standard Barolo and the Broglio cru (we didn’t try the Prapo). In other cases (sorry for the repetition from the other thread) I’ll throw a note of caution into the ring, in respect of some at times strident apricot aromas (also impacting the palate to a lesser degree). Now this may well dissipate or indeed bring interesting complexity later in the wine’s life, but it is unusual and in some instances pervasive. If you get the chance to taste further, then do so. Personally I’d avoid those with such a strident & unusual aroma, but more out of uncertainty than saying it is definitely going to be a problem. There appear to be plenty of very good wines out there in the vintage to avoid the risk.

regards
Ian

Gary, I do not have too much experiences with the 08. Tried some Giacosa. I have to said I am underwhelmed by the wine. it does not have the complex perfume that a good Giacosa wine usually has. How will you characterize the 08 vintage in general? A classical one for the long run?

David

like Gary’s assessment ‘sneaky good vintage’. Not especially hyped, I tended to choose it over the slightly easier 2007s, but on reflection I’ve tasted many good ones and can’t recall a dud.

David - i haven’t tried any, but there was a thread started a while ago talking about the 2008 Giacosa’s. Take a look:

What are some 2010 options, $50 or under, that could be enjoyed near term, less than 10 years? I have had a Vietti Castiglione that falls into this category, but would like to identify a few more producers/bottling to supplement. My plan is to buy a total of 3 cases, 6 each from 6 different bottlings. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Also is someone willing to sell me or recommend an aged bottle of Barolo so that I can get a taste of what the future may hold if I can be patient?

Thanks, this is unfortunate. I always like their wine. Hope they will fix the problem soon.

The problems at Giacosa are well known. And it is very sad for the wine world and Piedmont in particular. If I had the money I would buy 2004 back the early 80s. No the wines will not be cheap, but that is the price for the best in the world.

You might check Chambers St or the Rare Wine Co for aged nebbiolo.

2008 is a synthesis vintage. Combining some elements of classic vintages - 1996, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2010. With some elements of warm ripe vintages - 1997, 2000 and 2003. Each vintage gives you something, you just have to know how to use it.

The entry level Barolo/Barbaresco for these producers are ones to consider.

GD Vajra
Azelia
F. Alessandria
Guido Porro
Brovia
Marcarini

Produttori del Barbresco
Paitin
Castello di Neive
Cantina del Pino
Giuseppe Cortese

Gary, do you consider those producers to generally be producers of classic nebbiolo? or is there a mix in your suggestions?

Each to his own, but I tasted through Brezza’s cellar last year and loved the wines. Extremely clean but entirely traditional wines. I haven’t had any older bottles.

I was very impressed with the Sarmassa 99 when I had it in Monforte in 2005 with a knowledgeable Italian friend who zeroed in on it on a restaurant list. And I very much liked the 04s and 06s when I tasted through them at the cantina three years ago. I think you might be out of date on Brezza.

Footnote: A Brezza 78 very much held its own against much fancier brands at a 78 dinner here in NY five or six years ago. I wish the hell I’d loaded up on that wine at the cellar door when I had the chance in 2005.