TN Christopher Tynan Wines

Caveat: Chris is a good friend who started coming in to the store in 2003, when he first started working in the wine industry while attending college. After schooling and working his way through farming to wine making, Chris interned at Colgin as the assistant wine maker and is currently the winemaker for Cliff Lede/Poetry. Tonight he showed up with his new wines for us to try. All bottles opened at 4:55 PM, sampled over 2 hours and revisited as I write.

2012 Meleagris gallopavo Vineyard Old Vines Napa Cabernet Sauvignon: ABV 15.1. 76 cases produced. The vineyard is 900 feet above St. Helena. Inky dark purple with crimson edges, medium legs. I can’t describe what little aromatics there are, (allergies). Spicy cassis, supple fruit with good acidity and ample tannins, 20 second finish, a classy Cab.

8:15 PM The wine has gained in weight. The spicy cassis is prominent with dark fruits through the mid palate and a finish extending to 45 seconds ending with some dust. I did not expect this wine to develop this much concentration, flavor and complexity based on my initial tasting. Impressive.

2012 St. Helena Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve: ABV 14.4. 124 cases produced. The Cab grapes are sourced from a vineyard 200 feet lower that gets more sun. It was co-fermented with some Petite Verdot sourced from Stage Coach Vineyard. Again, I’m unable to discern the aromatics. Inky purple with near purple edges and heavy legs. Dark fruits are predominant, followed by licorice turning in to dark chocolate covered cherry and culminating in the mouth drying of the Petite Verdot. Again, 20 - 25 second finish.

8:30 PM The wine actually feels lighter in the mouth, but all the flavors are more poignant with the dark chocolate waning and the fruit more visible. The finish is 30 plus seconds and is actually closing down some. This wine is still concealing all that it has and needs some aging. This is a sleeper that will be a show off in 10 plus years or with a long decant.

2011 Judge Family Vineyard Bennett Valley Syrah: 80 cases produced. Colder climate, Rhone like wine. 13.6 ABV. Opaque purple and I CAN smell some briar and blackberry. Medium legs. Typical cold climate light blackberry flavors with some kitchen spices. Kind of one dimensional at first sip with heavy tannin, smoothing out with time in the glass. 30 second finish.

9:00 PM Blackberry, kitchen spice, full bodied, mouth coating with a one minute finish, who’d of thunk.

Chris is a member of WB so you can contact him if you are interested in purchasing any of his wines and trust in my tasting notes.

Had this last night with brisket. Strong effort.
IMG_1757.JPG

Bill…I was excited to sign up, but afraid that will be priced out.

Indeed, an priced out as well. But, it is good to have friends with disposable income.

I cracked a 2012 a month ago. 5 hours air. Deep dense black fruit with red edges, very Bond-like. Still youthful with well concealed structure to last like a well made Napa wine. Love the vibrancy and intensity.

What was the price increase from the 2012 and the 100 point 2013?

We talked about this and I think about $30-40 is what the host stated.

Bill…I heard $235 for the '13…was last year $175 or $185?

Also priced out but hope to try a bottle one day.

Yeah, $185 for 2012 and $235 for 2013.

Has anyone here had a syrah lately? There is only one tasting note on CT, and that is for the 2012.

The cabernet looks to be sold out in my allocation when I checked 2 hours after the e-mail.
I was going to buy, but apparently too late.
Did anyone bought this time?

I managed two cabs and 3 syrahs.

First post on this board. Hi everyone!

I got 2 bottles of the single vineyard Cabernet. No doubt, high pricing for a wine with limited provenance/track record but I’ve tried several of Christopher’s Cliff Lede bottlings and really liked them. Moreover, the scarcity of this wine (only 70 cases) plus the great reviews finally convinced me to take punt. I was also tempted to get some of the Syrah but A) I am already overstocked on great Syrah/Shiraz since I live in Sydney/Australia and B) it’s always a challenge for me to organize on-shipment of US wines to Sydney, hence the smaller the lots the better. Occasionally when opportune, such as in this case, friends are willing to bring out small amounts but larger quantities are definitely more of a challenge.

Actually, I have the same issue with my bi-annual Sine Qua Non allocations. Mid to long-term I do need to find a better solution. In fact, if anyone on this board is a frequent or even occasional traveler to Sydney (business or pleasure), we might be able to find a reciprocal arrangement. I’m open to suggestions.

Greetings from Down Under!