Best under $45 and $50-$60, 2012 Napa Cabernet

My search for more everyday wine options continues. With 2012 having such volume I am hoping that there will be some hidden gems. My current list: Turnbull, Honig, Hall, Whitehall Lane, Provenance, Frank Family, Faust, and Chappellet Signature, Neal, Robert Foley Griffin (blend), Quilceda Creek (blend).

Next level where there are tons of options is the $50-60 range: Myriad, Quivet, Scarlett, Robert Craig, Chimney Rock, Ladera, Rivers Marie, Kapcsandy Endre (blend),Spring Mountain, EMH Black Cat, CRU by 29, Lewelling, Ghost Block, Larkmead, Hayfork, Jones The Sisters.

To give an example what I am hoping to find, which Cameron Hughes is the MUST BUY for 2012?

Thanks!!

For under $45, I was impressed with the Priest Ranch when I tried it this spring.

Ridge Estate is the only CA cab I buy in that price range (cheaper even. Abt $35). Had the 2008 the other night and it was sensational

Jones sisters is a little higher these days. With tax shipping and handling I think I paid $70 per for the 2011. If you can grab these at retail for $60 or less I’d go for it.

We had the 2011 Ehlers Estate 120/80 and enjoyed it very much. I imagine the 2012 will be even better. Definitely under $45.

$50-$60: Joseph Phelps…I had the 2001 recently and it was delicious.

Smith Madrone and Ridge are two of my goto cabs in that range.

Nice list, Ian.

Larkmead increased their mailing list price to $90 for the Cab. It might be found for a little less at retail, but probably not in the $60 range. I also like the Culler La Palette in the $50-$60 range. As others have mentioned, Ridge is from the Santa Cruz Mountains and should be available in the $40-$50 range.

Thanks,
Ed

Mondavi Oakville always delivers for $35 or less, imo.

This question is near and dear to my heart. This (under $45 anyway) is my price point as well. Very good feedback so far. Keep it coming.

Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Cabernet is a long time favorite (first vintage was 1973, last 2007). Retails for $20-$30 around here. Give these some time in the bottle (7-8 yrs for my taste) and an hour or so in the decanter for best showing. Clos Du Val, Napa bottling is another favorite. Retails for between $25-$35 here. These need some cellar time as well - again 7-8 years from vintage date. These tend to be even more tightly wound than the Mondavi’s so give them a good decant and some air time. Both the Mondavi and CDV Cabs are blends, typically with some Cab Franc and Melot (at least) but with time they show themselves as very well made, rich, elegant Napa wines. BTW - I dislike both of these when they are young as they are - to my taste - hard, tannic with little nose and less flavour. Give them time though… I will also put a plug in for the BV Rutherford bottling. I think that these are still 100% Cabernet. Recent vintages have been good, but the offerings from the late '70’s and early 80’s were better. Still, a sentimental favorite. All well below your $40 price point and they are all wines that I will be buying from the 2012 vintage to cellar for later.

Tim

I think most of those are more like 60-70 bucks.
Even on the mailing lists.

Tim- give Neal a shot at the $45 price range. Excellent wine that rewards a few years in cellar. Grab the 10 if you can find it. Buehler Napa, Estate and Papa Knoll’s hit the $25,30, $45 range and are all solid.

Ian- My top choices in the $55-60 range would be Drinkward Peschon, Seavey Caravina, Myriad Three Twins.

And a shot out to Sonoma- Calluna Estate their cuvee is $33 and their estate wine is $50 and even less if you join the club. A bit old school in style and a BDX cab based blend. It’s a silly value when compared to Napa. Had some friends taste their today and they loved it.

Cheers,
Fred

Excellent wines but, as Scott noted, several listed here are above the price ranges indicated…at least on release. I like Fred’s list, as well, but believe Myriad Three Twins is now $75, no?

Isn’t Lewelling still $100 for a 2-pack of Napa/Wight? With a 10% case discount?? If so, easily the best value in Napa imo.

I need to drink more Ridge.

I remember once upon a time (not too long ago), traveling for work, I found myself at a liquor store in nowhere Oklahoma. I don’t know what the laws are in that state, and don’t want to get anyone in trouble. Needless to say, amongst the wines for sale, were a bunch of wines labeled with ‘owners’ personal cellar. Here I found a 15 year old version of this wine for ~$35. This bottle was unquestionably the greatest value I’ve ever found in CA cab.

I too recommend the Mondavi Oakville but I know the 2012 is not in release yet. If you can find the 2010 it is very fine (below copied from Wine.com):

“Robert Mondavi’s juicy, dense purple-colored 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville is a blend of 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, 4% Merlot and 1% Malbec. It offers lots of creme de cassis, Christmas fruitcake and spice notes as well as a full-bodied mouthfeel, building incrementally to reveal abundant rich, cassis fruit, good acidity and sweet tannin. This beautiful Cabernet should drink well for two decades or more.
Rating: 94+”
The Wine Advocate

“Bright, deep red-ruby. Aromas and flavors of cassis, black cherry, graphite, licorice, menthol and bitter chocolate. Suave, sweet and concentrated if a bit youthfully aggressive and medicinal in the early going. But this has excellent energy and intensity, and classic Oakville character. Finishes with fine-grained tannins and lovely rising perfume.
Rating: 91(+?)”
91 Points International Wine Cellar

Sojourn makes a Cab. I havent had it but others I know have and liked it. I really like their PN, though, FWIW.

Drinkward Peschon

Andy- your right. It’s the Myriad and Quivet Napa wines that would hit the 60 and under price point.

Alex- pretty sure your right on Lewelling pricing and it does make them the best value in Napa Cab. They used to be my go to wines but the crank up in ripeness and new oak killed it for me.