Finally A New Book About Barolo And Barbaresco

It’s about time: Amazon.com

Have you read it?

It’s not released yet. October 17th. That said, I enjoyed reading Kerin’s first book on Brunello. I’ll buy this book also as a result.

Amazon shows it in stock. Ken V. said he got his copy yesterday, not necessarily from Amazon.

Books are often available a little before their stated release dates.

I’m looking forward to this as well, it’s about time this region gets a little love.

Last I heard there were two others in the works. Don’t know what the status of either is at the moment.

Will be interested in seeing what you all/others…think of it.

Very well researched and thorough. Haven’t read it all, but clearly a good book on the subject. Similar in style and structure to “Barolo: Tar and Roses” which hasn’t been updated in over 20 years. Safe to say it is immediately the best book on the subject.

I’m reading it now. Definitely a must-have for Piedmont fans. Focus is on profiles and histories of the producers, informative but not dry, and plenty of fascinating inside-baseball stuff on the DOCG politics and the like. Don’t pick it up looking for TNs, although there are a few. But if Kerin gives a producer good press, you know they’re worth your while. She’s very much on top of who the most exciting classicists of the moment are.

Thanks

Ordered one now. Looking forward to reading it.

I’ll own one very soon. Enjoyed and still reference her Brunello book.

It’s worth mentioning that her taste runs more toward the traditional side. Roberto Voerzio is not mentioned.

Debating between the Kindle and hard copy. Would the maps suffer significantly in digital format?
Thanks!

That is a bit disturbing, depending on what this book is “claimed” to be. Omitting those who are not your “taste”…especially someone as prominent in the mix as Voerzio, can be a real negative for a “reference” book.

I’m interested in all schools there…not just someone’s personal favorites.

Is Sottimano mentioned?

I guess I should try to access the index somehow before buying.

Good. Nice to read an ‘opinionated’ person view. And in this case one that leans towards the traditionalists whom I appreciate more than the modernists.

She may have felt (purely guessing) that it is better to omit him altogether than give him a poor write up and then face the wrath of the producer and his loyal fans.

Agree completely. Really useful.

And I noticed your name on the back, Oliver! [cheers.gif]

No need to speculate, she lays out her philosophy very clearly in the introduction. She considers international-style Barolo a travesty and says she only covers those producers when she thinks it’s warranted for historical reasons.

My book arrives on Tuesday. I got the advice to purchase from another thread. My only concern is that the book is around $30 but the wine I will drink while reading it will be costly. I find reading wine/food books without actually enjoying the underlying subject matter frustrating.