Cahors Vintage Chart?

Anybody know where to find one? There is an opportunity to pick up some '94s from Chateau Haut-Serre (Vigouroux) deeply discounted, and I’m wondering why that vintage. Thanks in advance!

Can’t really help with 94, but I’ve had some great basic Cahors from 2000 if you see any

My dusty 2001 edition of Hugh Johnson’s Pocket Encyclopedia recommends the 1990 and 1995 Cabors vintages but nothing in between. That is a bad sign for 1994…

I think Cahors goes with red Bordeaux pretty much. 94 was pretty average - although I’ve certainly enjoyed some 94 Bordeaux…

Yah, it’s close enough to be able to compare, and if you look at the greatest vintages of the Sud, they usually parallel Bordeaux pretty close - good luck -

Buy a couple and check for yourself. Sometimes decidedly average is s beautiful thang.

Pretty far south; good operation (I visited in 1990…a long time ago), Haut Serres…and 20 years old, with malbec (tannat) as a base…Depending on the price, I can’t imagine it won’t be a good value.

That’s a great line Todd, sort of parallels this one: “Sometimes nothing can be a really cool hand”

It’s not a vintage chart, but we had an excellent discussion about Cahors here:

It led me to puchase a few bottles of 2004 Haut Serre (Vigoroux), which I loved, and I actually went back and bought a half case more, most of which I’ve set aside to age longer.

Off topic but I had the 2010 Haut Serre (the Grand Vin Seigeur) a few weeks ago, probably riper than most vintages but I came away deeply impressed by the wine, very good value too at $30. I think you would be hard pressed to beat it at that price point from a wine in Bordeaux proper.

I am with Todd. I would buy and try one and start from there…

I love Haut Serre - despite the fact that more than 90% of my wines are from Burgundy.

Thanks for the link. Because I have friends who live in the Perigord, I was introduced to Cahors and the wines of George Vigouroux many years ago; these in turn led me to Madiran, Tursan, Gaillac, Marcillac, Coteaux du Quercy, and others I can’t remember now. A 1990 Chateau de Haut Serre from Vigouroux, opened in 2005, remains high on my list of great wine experiences. But I never was much for keeping track of vintages, and as it turns out, there are more vintages going on sale, back to 1992 and up to 1985.

The 1981 Hautes Serres was the first wine (in 1983-4) I ever bought by the case. I think Vigouroux had then recently reclaimed the estate which had been inactive from around World War II, as had much of the region’s vines.

Wish I still had a bottle.

When I visited in 1990, I realized that Hautes Serres was indeed a special location, way up high. That whole area, of SW France, including Madiran are great sources for sturdy red wines (and equivalent cuisine). Cahors remains special to me, though I don’t drink or buy enough of it.

Where is the Haute Serre on special in MA?

1990 was and is great. I have one left. So complex, a new wine as it keeps changing.Almost to interesting to have with food. I think this should be enjoyed on its own.