Oakville wines

Hi

Very little experience with Oakville so this might be a dumb question but ill ask anyway.

Some of the cult Oakville wines are priced really high, is it smart to look for Oakville cabs from non cult but still reputable makers such as Ramey, Sojourn & Bedrock based on general terroir etc leading to great wines that are just not by cult makers or is it a case of the area Oakville possibly misleading me to buy these wines with a promise that doesnt materialise

Alan

It doesn’t get much play here but Pine Ridge makes an excellent Oakville cab.

Why not try a Robert Mondavi Oakville (QPR), a Robert Mondavi Reserve, or a Mondavi Tokalon Reserve.

Look towards the hills. Detert and Oakville East Exposure are two that offer outstanding wines at non-cult prices, IMHO.

I think the 3 you listed are good wines to try for probably a fraction of the price.

I think that most of Mondavis Oakville is tokalon and nearly all of the reserve is as well. It looks like Mondavi is getting smart and doing a regular tokalon vineyard designate wine. I think they’ve only done it on occasion in the past, and it was only available to purchase on site at the winery in one off years. At $145 for the 2011, that’s a lot of dough… But tokalon is the best, right?

I also like Swanson in Oakville,they’re pretty good. I’ve always been a big fan of Far Niente (used to belong to their wine club) as well. I think their Nickel & Nickel label has a few single vineyard designates from Oakville as well. Good juice, but I prefer to buy it retail.

Don’t forget about heitz Martha’s Vineyard.

Second Detert. Their vineyard is essentially To Kalon, much of the fruit still goes into Mondavi’s Reserve bottling AKAIK. They make a really nice Cab, and an even better Cab Franc, both top quality for $75. Anyone looking for a distinctly cool vintage Cab should seriously look to their 2011 wines, simply brilliant, almost a throwback style to an era long gone.

That Oakville has been a killer QPR. Price has been creeping a bit in my market the last couple of years though.

VHR has to be the entry price on the Oakville cult scene.

I bought extensively in the 2001 vintage and I still think they are a buy. I won’t be buying 2011 because, for one thing, I’d have nowhere to put it.

a few more
Dr Crane- Myriad makes a killer one
Groth- nice old school
Turnbull- have some incredible vineyards
Maybach
Alpha Omega
Bevan
Nickel and Nickel- i like the Sullenger vineyard
Plumpjack
Realm
Rivers Marie Corona
Sojourn
Tamber Bey
Tor- they make a great BTK. loved the clone 6

cheers
Fred

You can research other wineries in the area and see if you find what you’re looking for at “non-cult” prices.

http://oakvillewinegrowers.com/oakville_map/

Myriad Dr. Crane is indeed killer but I believe it’s St. Helena, not Oakville.

Last Bottle has Groth on offer now.

Chris- you are correct on both points. On my way to taste last night at Bressler I remembered that Crane was right next to the school in St Helena and then we drove right by it . We had a chance later that night to try the regular 12 Myriad Crane and it is killer.

If you want to taste what I do at AO please feel free to contact me at jean@aowinery.com. I would be happy to set up a tasting for you

Jean