Help Me to Understand Pavelot/SLB (Please!)

I am relatively new to Burgundy and have really liked what I’ve tasted from Pavelot…unfortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity to taste a lot. Any information would be appreciated, particularly about the following:

1. How do the various vineyards compare (style, ability to age, etc.)?
  2. What is the typical aging curve? Very generally, best around 10 years from vintage? When, does it typically shut down?
  3. Does Pavelot/SLB “follow” the general patterns of Burgundy, i.e., if 2010 is a great year for red Burgs, it should be a great year for Pavelot?
  4. Is Pavelot fairly “typical” in terms of style for SLB?
  5. Any other SLB producers I must try, particularly with good QPR? I have not had any Simon Bize…gotta rectify that.

If there’s any question that I’ve neglected, please chime in.

Thanks for any/all guidance.

+1 I’m looking forward to the responses.

I believe Aux Guettes is higher up the slope and consequently a little leaner and shows more rocky mineral. Dominode is lower in the valley and more south facing, so it is a little plusher.

Good timing. I just had 1990 Dominodes on Sunday and it was SPECTACULAR. Dark, rich, well textured, no signs of fading, outrageous nose.

Dominode is technically their flagship wine, and also their largest holding. Up until recently, they made Narbantons, which they had to give up.

Corey, IIRC, I think Jeff is correct, so go with the style that you like best. I prefer Dominodes.

Rob Panzer is a guru on this and can give you the specifics and details. Calling Rob

I haven’t had enough of either to make a call, but I have particularly enjoyed the Aux Guettes…and it looks like 2010 was the last vintage for this wine.

Brian, good call on Rob Panzer. You led me to his website, which has a bucketload of info:

Telling from those that I’ve had:

Peuillets: fruit-forward, friendly, early-drinker
Guettes: quite restrained, sometimes a bit hard, needs time
Serpentières: mineral, pure, needs time
Narbantons: complete, deep, needs time

Depends on the vintage and the wine. In my experience, except for the Peuillets, these shut down earlier than other wines and I’m not touching mine before waiting at least 10 years after the vintage.

Don’t know, but stick to Côte de Beaune vintage assessments rather than to Côte de Nuits vintage assessments. This makes a difference, e.g. in 2006.

Can’t say. So far I haven’t arrived at saying what’s typical for Savigny-lès-Beaune.

Simon Bize
Michel & Joanna Ecard (great!)

As to questions four and five, many of my wines from this area (Savigny or Pernand) are from Pavelot or Chandon de Briailles (answering the question about other producers). I find Pavelot to be richer and tougher (esp. when young). I find CdB to be silkier and more elegant, but many times without the richness of Pavelot.

Another excellent producer for wines from these parts is Dublere. I have only had young wines from Blair, not mature ones yet, but the ones I have had have been good.

Buy 1 bottle of 3-4 communes from 2012 and taste them now (they’re not closed at this time) and get a sense for where your palate preference is.

I’d suggest: Dominode, Lavieres, Guettes & Gravains.

I think the 8-10 year window (from vintage) is generally a good window to open the 1er Crus but that will vary depending on vintage and at what stage you enjoy Burgundy. Pavelot tends to, if anything, excel in more difficult vintages and be the reference for the SLB appellation.

Anthony

Thank you Steven for your detailed reply.

Howard thanks to you as well. I have had several of Blair’s wines and I’m trying to let them age a bit. I checked in with one of his SLB’s just a few days ago:

Flavors generally follow the nose with the addition of a green herbal element and sour cherries. Very balanced with a nice dose of acidity and barely perceptible tannins. A bit thin on the palate, silky mouthfeel, finish is medium and clean. I don’t see this making old bones or improving much – maybe it will put on a bit of weight – but should drink well through 2020. (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Corey, Envoyer is offering the '07 Dominode for $40/btl.

Thanks Chae. I can also get locally for the same coin and they also have the 08s so I’ll probably go that route.