Pegau Reserve

This is one of my best producers. But there seems to be a lot of bottle variation and maybe even different bottelings some years.
Does anyone know if they are working on this problem with bottlevariation?
And which years there are different bottlings?
Thank you!

Paging Mr. Kravitz

Just think of it as what Beaucastel was to the 80’s and 90’s.

I have also found annoying bottle variation in Pegau.
I believe the last problem was with the 2004 vintage (but I may be wrong here).

I have poured a couple of bottles down the sink. I’m no enologist, but the problem was either bacterial or, more likely, secondary fermentation in the bottle.

When I bought a bottle in a wine shop in St. Emilion, the owner surprised me by saying I could have a second at a significant discount.
That should have raised suspicions…

All the best,
Alex R.

Although Dan Kravitz may correct me, the only year I know of in which they had different bottlings for the same label was 1999 Cuvee Reservee, for which there was a second release bottling that was significantly more closed upon release than the first release.

This, of course, does not take into account the Cuvee Laurence, which, at least prior to around 2000, was the same wine as the Reservee, except aged in foudres for some years longer or for the fact that wines in years prior to, I believe, 1987 (the year the estate was renamed Pegau), which one can still buy at the estate, have all been relabelled from Feraud et fils to Cuvee Laurence.

Jonathan, I seem to remember 2003 having multiple releases too.

I have had some variation with the 2008 too.

most bottle variation since 2000 is 2008 (the most horsey) although I don’t know about 2002

There are 2 different issues:
bottle-variation and different bottlings.

As far as I´m concerned there are always slightly different bottlings since it is simply not possible to bottle 50 to 70.000 bottles in one go for a family domaine. But in recent vintages they have done it over 1-2 months, not over 3-6 months as a decade ago.
The other issue is bottle variation - speaking of brett or 2nd fermentation.

From MY cellar, and I have all vintages from 1981 to 2011, purchased at the domaine, there was never any 2nd fermentation nor any really bad brett issue. Sure small amounts of brett hints are typical for the domaine … but I think the major issues appear afterwards through bad shipping and/or storage (during shipping) … not originally from the bottling.

I admit it is more risky to ship wine from France through the Panama canal to LA or SF, or to NY and later to the midwest - than to collect a case or two at the domaine and drive it into my cellar in Austria.

I already finished a case of 50ml (yes, odd size) 2009 vintage without any significant bottle variations. Lucky me.

But I thought Pegau Reserve always slightly bretty anyway, just not reach the stage of annoying.

I like the 0.50 l format - but I´ve only seen it at the domaine(s) or in restaurants in Chateauneuf-du-Pape or nearby.

I ordered both '09 and '10 vintages only in 50ml from the agent here, with the amount of alcohol in CDP these days, 50ml may be the right size for 2 persons.

This could be a explenation why there are a so wide ratings from consumers. I think I got a very good case of the 2011 vintage but a poor 2010. The 2010 was good but not nearly as good as winecritics and others have reported. I see this as a problem. And it doesnt feel good missing the great 2010 vintage from this producer. Maybee I will spread out my buying to different retailers in the future. Thanks!

Do you mean 500ml? 50ml is a small glass of wine.

The 2003 Pegau Cuvee Laurence was at least selected from particular barrels according to Laurence Feraud. So not identical juice to the 2003 Pegau Reserve.

I have had my 2001 Pegau Cuvee Reserve go down hill fairly rapidly for some reason, last 3 bottles prematurely aged. Early bottles were in good shape, but not sure this counts as “bottle variation”.

Sorry to hear about that, Carl. My '01s are still singing

50ml = 50 milliliters?? That’s quite a small bottle… newhere

Ooop! should be 500ml.

Love the '09, but variation there is.

I got lots of variation in '08. Less so in '06, '07, '09.

gotta be one of the brettiest cellars/wine made, so that might account for some of the variation.