Kapscandy State Lane

Since I have read great reviews on the Kapscandy State Lane vineyard I’m thinking of buying a bottle. For those that have tasted the State Lane Grand Vin is there a big difference between the regular State Lane? Is the Grand Vin worth the increase in price?
I’m looking into buying the 2006 State Lane or the 2008 Grand Vin State Lane .

I believe all the cabs are ‘State Lane Vineyard’, as that’s the name of their estate vineyard, no? There is - in most vintages - a Cab and a Grand Vin. As to the increase in price between the two, which can be significant, that’s up to you, but the Grand Vin is a Bordeaux blend, so stylistically it will be different from the cab, anyway. If my wife was in charge of the wine buying, budget be damned, we would have bought plenty of Grand Vin (and Roberta’s Reserve), but I don’t have the funds!

Go for the Grand Vin, if it is in your budget. While all are great ,the Grand Vin & Roberta’s Reserve are at a greater level.
I have tasted many wines & the '07 Grand Vin is one of the most delicious wines of my life. The wine dinner where we had it the '07 GV beat out many great Cabs & Bordeaux , including a 1994 Harlan.

Thanks, I took your recommendation and purchased a State Lane Gran Vin 07. I’m going to drink it soon.

I own the Kapcsandy Grand Vin 07 & 10 en Magnum, won’t be drinking either soon.

When you try it, please give me your opinion. [cheers.gif]

Joe- the 06 State Lane was the name of the Cab before 07. It is a very good to outstanding wine. Starting in 07 they renamed the top Cabernet wine Grand Vin. The 07 and 08 are fantastic wines as is the Roberta’s. Two of my favorites each year and they were as good as it gets in these 2 years.

Todd- the Grand Vin is a Cab. In some years the Cuvee has been a blend.

Cheers
Fred

Thank you for the info. So current vintages for the cabs are either Grand Vin or the cuvee?

Joe ,See if this helps.

The 12 will be the current vintage and you won’t see the wines listed on the website unless your on the mailing list.

Joe- the only Cabernet is the Grand Vin. They make an Estate Cuvee as well and for 2 or 3 years it was a Cabernet based wine but has gone back to being a traditional Bdx blend. Their “2nd wine” is the Endre and the 2010 is very good. This would be a great wine to try to get a feel for their style. It’s also a blend with about 50% cab in it.

Thanks for the info.

F.Daner - The Endre 2010 is available from different retail stores. The Estate Cuvee is also not difficult to find. Looks like the 2010 cuvee is 100% cab. I’m thinking of also purchasing a cuvee.