TN: 2004 Mount Eden Vineyards SCM Cabernet Sauvignon

Such a great bottle of wine, one of the last holdouts in a ca cab world where it seems like most have gone off the deep end.

• 2004 Mount Eden Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (9/1/2014)
    Decanted 2.5 hours at cellar temp prior to this note, served in zalto universal. Cool blue and red fruited nose, with tons of fresh cut herbs, sage, Italian seasoning. Layers into cedar, sweet cigar smoke, graphite and sweet red fruits. Silky mouthfeel, velvet like, a touch glossy. Wine builds front to back with a spicy entry sliding to a nice full mid palate and transitioning to a complex finish. Really nice acid in the mouth, fresh and bright, tannins are present but integrated nicely. Its all about complexity, spicy oak, black tea, more of the cedar, very Bordeaux like. To me it tastes like a 15yr old left banker. This is some really good stuff, lots fruit, great balance and drinking nicely with some air. If I were a guessing man I’d say this has at least 5-7 to peak and should drink nicely through its 25th birthday. A classic Cali cab in every way possible.

Thanks for the update on this one. I have a single bottle that I purchased on release, and I’ve stood it up at least a half dozen times in the last few months with the intention of opening it in the next few days. Each time, I decide I’m going to give it a little longer…only to change my mind again a few weeks later.

Given your impressions, I’ll try to hold off a while longer but will look forward to drinking it down the road.

Thanks for the note. Sounds like this is progressing well. I still have a magnum that will continue to sleep.

Jason