TN: 1998 Le Clos du Caillou Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve le Clos du Caillou

• 1998 Le Clos du Caillou Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve le Clos du Caillou - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/1/2014)
    Ok. I was hoping for so much more. This is still pretty primary for a 16yo bottle of wine. Somewhat big, somewhat grapey, etc. If I’d gone to someone’s house for a barbecue and they’d handed me a glass of this, I’d have said “This is a tasty glass of wine”. But is it classic aged CDP? I think not. I could have guessed all day and not picked CDP here. I guess this was the beginning of the Parker Internationalization Of All Wine stage. Again, this is very well made and tasty wine, but no way to tell CDP vs all the other possibilities. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I convinced myself over time that for my taste there were a very limited number of CNdPs worth aging. I will buy Beaucastel, VT, Pignan and windfall permitting, Rayas. Clean Pegaus have also aged very well, and Bonneau. Maybe there are others but none of my other experiments have really paid off. I switched all my lower end purchases to Rayas family wines after tasting a beautiful light-colored 98 Ch. Des Tours CdR as well as a number of younger ones. I still have some other CNdPs in the cellar but nothing has shown that much promise.

I opened a bottle of their 2001 Cotes de Rhone Reserve recently. It was extremely hard work even to finish a glass, and lacked most of what I love from Southern Rhone wines.

Thanks for the note, Peter; I think I’ve got one of these in storage somewhere so I’ll have to dig it out.

I think you’re absolutely right about wines that become so “international” that they lose all distinctions of place.

is that in regards to the more modern winemaking style now or in general? I’ve had some fantastic CDPs from the 50s

Hoping that CdP pre-2003 ages gracefully and maintains its own character. Had an enjoyable comparison this weekend between 2000 Sabon CdP and a 2001 Clarendon Hills Blewitt Springs. The Sabon had that animal and earthy element that I love in Rhone wines, while the CH lacked the Rhone element. I was pleased that the CH was not jammy or over the top. Still holding a large number of Rhones from the mid- to late-90’s and planning to make a dent this winter…

I have a couple of bottles. I bought three at a ridiculous price ($24) and drank one a couple of years ago. It was like running into a brick wall. I hope it turns out to show some graceful qualities, but I’m not planning to find out with the other bottles for 10 years or so.

I had it 6 months ago - and it was a great bottle of modern-style CdP, still a bit youthful, but very satisfying, complex, intense and very long. One of the best 3 or 4 out of 20 CdPs 1998 we tasted … worth 96 points.

Don´t know what was with YOUR bottle. Maybe you don´t like the style …

Gerhard, I’m sure that’s the case. I imported these myself during the late Fall / early Spring months from the UK, back in '00 or '01, and the case has been in my cellar since. I think it’s the style, I want me CDP with some funk, not clean like Napa Valley…

btw, if anyone likes this style, I have a case of this to go (have about 13-14 left).

Just been at Clos du Caillou and tasted the 2012 (very fine) and some 2013 (and Rayas, and Versino … and Ferrand)
We had Reserve 2001 for dinner ( great wine) … and 07 Ferrand … and Ch.des Tours 05 … (outstanding)

Would take 12 bts. 98 anytime for the going rate of 65.00 - if it´s in Germany or France or Austria …

I don’t doubt that there are others that age well, but compared to Bordeaux where my experience is that almost anything I bought repaid aging, my CNdP experience was mostly disappointing except for these estates. A few wines aged poorly, but more often they just didn’t gain enough interest to offset the loss of youth. I still have some and maybe they will come through. I’m not in any hurry to drink them.

I think mine would be considered traditional, mostly wines from 1985-2000 drunk with 10-25 years of age.