TN: Burgundy Night

DINNER AT PARIS CLUB - Paris Club - Chicago, IL (8/28/2014)

• 1996 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon Oenothèque - France, Champagne
    Pop and pour. Lots of power and refinement with layers of sweet fruit, and florals. Tons of energy, weight, and balance. An incredibly young champagne that packs the power, balance, elegance to transform into something truly special with time. (95 pts.)
  • 2002 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Lots of sweet saline flavors, with the customary wisps of sea breeze and slate. We had this with a couple dozen oysters and the combination was predictably amazing. Loved the wine’s elegance and power. (96 pts.)
  • 1999 Simon Bize Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    This was only solid for a short period of time, but for the first 45 minutes, this was absolutely lovely. Tons of minerals, white florals, and flinty notes. Definitely a flyweight Corton, but gorgeous all the same. (91 pts.)
  • 2011 Simon Bize Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Tight and coiled at first. Lots of streamlined minerality and pears…but not a ton else. Gave this some air and it shifted gears quite a bit and became super sweet with tangerine, mangos, and candied peach. Super weird.
  • 1999 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    Soaring aromatics of dark berries, spice, and earth. Thought the palate was in a great place with loads of spicy fruit, dried florals, and wet earth. Ah…the joys of Burgundy. This is exactly the type of wine I really love with its soft floral notes, some brothy tones, spice, and earth. (92 pts.)
  • 1984 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Lots of sous bois, berries, and floral notes. The fruit at its core was both sweet and tart and the lightness on the palate was absolutely charming. I haven’t drank much older Oregonian pinot, so this was a real treat. (90 pts.)
  • 1993 Hubert Lignier Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Chaffots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    Big and powerful (still) with dense red fruits, wet earth, beef broth, and spices. I really liked the palate, had good acidity, a cool red fruit profile, and some nice floral notes. Seemed to be in a great place! (92 pts.)
  • 1990 Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
    A dazzling wine that had soaring aromatics of spicy cherry, earth, soft floral notes, and a more masculine beefy flavor. The palate was in a great place too - everything seemed to be in perfect balance. What a wine. (94 pts.)
  • 1988 Gérard Raphet Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    An exotic nose of cherries, roses, and earth. The palate was a bit lean (even for me) and was really showing mostly light florals, cranberries, and acid. This is probably a few years past prime. (84 pts.)
  • 1969 Wilhelm Bründlmayer Ruländer Trockenbeerenauslese Langenloiser Taubenberg - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal
    A dark brown color this was an absolute treat to drink. The aromas of peach, mango, spice, and clove were exotic and fresh. Good fruit, minerality, some brown sugar, and pineapple. An exotic time capsule…not bad for 45 year old pinot gris! (91 pts.)
  • 1995 Domaine Lapeyre Jurançon Cuvée Prestige - France, Southwest France, Jurançon
    Sweet and tangy with loads of the melon character I was hoping to find. These are always exotic wines, and this was no slouch. Had some appley, waxy notes on the palate with a very nice crispness that kept the palate energetic. Very good. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

You are a great note writer Matt. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

Ive had a few older Raphets and they are usually very light but I have to say a 1993 was smoking good.

Great notes as always, Tooch. Love the comments on the 90 Jadot. Just an awesome wine and evidence of the the amount of time that many Jadot wines need to hit full stride. Wish I were there!

Tooch, did Tim tell you the story of when I allowed a total stranger to pour himself a very full glass of Tim’s 1990 Jadot Bonnes Mares? If not, you should come for a DC visit and we’ll get into it.

I get the feeling I know who brought which wine : )

long trip for something that can be accomplished via email [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Killing me with these amazing wines…

Very nice wines Matt.
Great notes.
Thanks.

Sooo Jel

Great wines Matt! Love those older Jadot wines… I need to buy more Jadot!! That 96 Oeno is one incredible Champagne that has been drinking so well since release.

What is the fun in that? Such stories are best told over a bottle of 90 Jadot Bonnes Mares or the equivalent.