TN: 2009 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Moulin-à-Vent

2009 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Moulin-à-Vent - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Moulin-à-Vent (8/28/2014)
Opened on the spur of the moment last night, this was much more expressive/giving than I expected it to be. The fruit is still very youthful, and there is still some level of backbone, even a bit more accentuated, as the fruit level has backed off just a bit. Not too much in the way of bottle complexity at first, but it did show some elegant floral and turned earth scents with time. Overall just a really enjoyable drink, which is why I buy Beaujolais.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the check in. I have 6 of these but haven’t cracked one yet, I have enjoyed the Morgon quite a bit though. I need to drink more Beaujolais.

Good to hear that this is doing well. I don’t have any of this, but a recent bottle of the Morgon was quite enjoyable. The Fleurie, OTOH, though lovely young, has shown nothing in my last two checks. Keep hoping that it comes around as the other crus seem to be pleasant and the Fleurie showed such promise.

I had the 2011 Terres Dorees Fleurie last week. Very, very pretty.
Not sure what kind of complexity lay ahead, but absolutely no shame in drinking now.
A fine bargain at the $18 or so I paid.

Yup. Bought six on release, all gone!

Nice, I have some 2009 Brun Fleurie I have been sitting on.

Me, too. Thanks for the note.

David, what did you think of the fruit integration. The knock on 09’ from Bojo purists is that they were too fruited and ripe are they coming together?

I never thought the wines too fruity and ripe. It’s a rare Beaujolais vintage that I find overly ripe. 2003 is one. Other than that I just enjoy the overall vintage variation.

I agree with you as I rarely find Beaujolais too ripe, I liked the fruit on the 09’s and think it will be an epic vintage for Beaujolais so much so I went 20+cs deep.

I’m currently drinking through my 05’s from various producers and I think it’s a huge mistake on my part, the structure of the vintage is really coming through right now as the fruit has taken a back seat and are rather monolithic.

Maybe I need to hold on to 05’ a little longer and start on the 09’s…

I do not have many 2005s (spent my money on German Rieslings that year), but am leaving my few remaining bottles alone. There are plenty of other things that are drinking better now.

Some 2010s are also rather hard right now. Burgaud ‘James’ and ‘Javernieres’ in particular are showing nothing but teeth.

Just opened this last night. I found it good but quite “loamy”, as in considerable top soil.

In general, the more 09s I’ve had the less I like them. Hopefully they’ll emerge more balanced (for my palate) in a few more years.

RT

• 2009 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Moulin-à-Vent - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Moulin-à-Vent (10/9/2015)
    Popped and poured, youthful ruby/purple, deep for Beaujolais. Initially somewhat reticent, the nose needs about about 60 minutes before expanding into a lovely perfume of black raspberry, black cherry, vanilla bean, nori, an impression of minerals and a subtle note of provencal herbs. With air, aromas of iron and game emerge. Beautiful. Moderate body. Lively, enthusiastic notes of dark fruits, fresh cedar, green herbs, tobacco and minerals on the palate…almost like a Chinon with Bojo fruit. Decent acidity and a fair amount of chalky, even chewy tannins on the lingering close. Great with food.
    Although this needs a bit of coaxing to show, once everything comes together it’s absolutely lovely. And while the tannins indicate a long life, it might be more prudent to drink this one now and over the next few years before the fruit starts receding.

Probably the best showing 2009 Beaujolais I’ve had in the past couple years, wish I had bought case.

Great value!

I had to look it up, $22 per…

I only bought 3 bottles.

:frowning:

4 left in the glacial cellar.