2010 Shafer "Hillside Select"-at K&L:$279.99

I just purchased a couple of bottles; if you get an error message, as I did, just call the store.

Awesome on waffles. pileon

I didn’t see it on the site…

If you wish to tell the OP his palate sucks in what has become a not so veiled way, at least try to come up with something original. The ol’ syrup jab … now being lobbed at even generally well respected long track record new world wines without provocation.

Please. Did you miss the emoticon jab at himself? And I frankly agree with him. With a side of oak as well while you’re at it.

Please. What was the point of the post. Was it supposed to just be funny, because certainly someone with over 1500 posts must not think he’s being clever with a syrup and waffles post and no other context. You may not like the wine either, but why do you think slamming the post was a good idea when all the OP thought he was doing was pointing out a good deal? It’s old, tired, and even more so when it’s interjected without real reason.

Fair enough. Maybe not the best reaction to someone pointing out a retail opportunity for those interested as opposed to a thread discussing the merits of the wine.

It’s funny, some people post those slams and have never tasted the wine.

Have you tasted the wine Rick? I have not. Just drawing from recent vintages for reference. Please let me know if 2010 is noticeably different.

Whatevs. I am a fully initiated member of the AFWE and I can say with certainty that Shafer HSS is in the pantheon of age worthy Napa Cabs which exhibit terroir.
Now is it worth $300/bt? That is relative and debatable. But there is no question that it is outstanding wine.

edit I saw the other thread. My SHS experience is prior to 07. The 80’s & 90’s wines are great. I’ve only tasted new releases since then and can’t speak authoritatively about the current vintages.

John,

I haven’t received the 2010 yet, I should get it in Nov. I’m a fan of Shafer, the 10 is a Parker favorite but that doesn’t worry me too much. ( fingers crossed). Unfortunately, I won’t open one for many years as I don’t like to experiment with them. I’d open a Ridge but there is a pretty good price difference between the two. Shafer is pretty consistent so if you don’t like the 08 or 09, you’d probably be wasting your money on a 10.

Wait a sec.
Didn’t you leave an ‘impression’ at a particular SHS tasting in NYC once? [wow.gif]

It doesn’t take much to set you off, does it?

Actually quite the contrary and I thought my tone was rather mild, but defending that post is asinine. It was the latest in a long line of similar pointless posts senselessly slamming a person and their wine choice with a clichéd zinger.

I would like to be a part of a community which welcomes input from all types of wine drinkers and I think posts like these serve no purpose, yet they are becoming increasingly commonplace. As I said, it’s not even remotely funny anymore and I merely called it out. I’m not for excessive moderation but I think we might need to start policing ourselves a bit.

I’m part of several hobby type forums and the productive ones don’t encourage the piling on of unsolicited insults from one group to another. It’s the type of behavior that starts to answer the question in the current why do young people shy away from wine thread. But hey if that’s what you enjoy reading, or rather not reading because who wants to post on a wine that’s just going to be instantly slammed, continue on with the regularly scheduled program.

people can pass their syrupy SHS to me at deep discounts if it makes them feel better.

My face, on a tablecloth I think. :wink:

I think you are overreacting a bit Robert. It WAS a snarky remark, and I am sure it was all meant to be funny, not ripping someone. I think it was far, far from “slamming” anyone. I agree that if someone doesn’t like new world wines they should just stay away from these kinds of threads, but this is a board full of “wise guys” and there really is nothing you can do about it.

Not slamming the wine, just remember getting the great mid-90s HSS for under $150 back in the day.
Now $279 is worth posting about.

I haven’t had the 2010 and don’t know what the critics’ scores are, but there are lots of pretty good vintages of HSS from the 1990s and early-mid 2000s you can buy at retail right now for a little above or below $200. I’d be much more likely to buy a bottle of 1999 for $210 than a 2010 for $280.

+1, reminds me of middle school, except when I was that age it was Jr. High.