Shafer Hillside Select

I have seen a few posts on here about this wine. Looked at their website. Saw the price of their wine. [swoon.gif] Well, i have liked some stags Leap wines but they were in the $80-$130 price range. Im not certain that I can get much more out of a bottle at twice that price.

So…

I signed up anyways. Its a two year wait they tell me.

But, what are their offers like? 1,2,6 bottle allocations? i mean at $250 per bottle, i wont be ordering a case.

Any thoughts on this wine and joining their list? Or just winebid a couple.

Joe, can’t help with most of your questions, but can tell you what I tell everyone I drink with: if I were to become a wealthy man Shafer Hillside would be my house wine. It really is that consistently good. (get one from winebid and give it a whirl with some friends AND they do not need to be the hundred point jobbies)

Here’s to hitting the lottery!
Cheers! :slight_smile:

I have been buying off the list for several years. The Hillside is one of the best wines that come out of Napa every year in my opinion. I drank an 2004 a few weeks ago and it was almost perfect. Yes, the price is getting to a level that it makes me think twice.
Once on the list you can buy single bottles each year without losing your spot. You can also find these on WB and at your local wine shop. Depending on the vintage you can sometimes get them cheaper than release, but if it gets a 98-100 point score you will pay a premium over the release price.

Joe, I’ve been buying 2 bottles per year since the 2008 release. They’re pricey, but I don’t buy any other “cult” wines and this is as high as I go on anything. I haven’t opened one yet, but these, like Ridge Montebello, seem to be a universally admired wine, so I think I’m safe. I don’t have access to older bottles here in Texas, but would encourage you to order one readily available to see if you like it.

The list doesn’t offer any real benefits that I can find. The wine is not made in limited quantities, and Shafer charges both sales tax and exorbitant shipping when you buy direct. They let you buy a single bottle, if you want, but when you get hit with 7.5% sales tax (my jurisdiction) and ~$40 shipping, it’s usually significantly less expensive to buy it from an online retailer, even in “premium” years.

I don’t usually play in this price range, but Shafer HSS is one of the few big money bottles I do try to make room for. But I’m off the list these days.

Joe- the “normal” allocation is 6 plus a mag- I’ve been buying since 1997. I split my allocation. Great wine, but by far the most expensive “list” I am on. Always comes in a nice wooden case- that I give away to wine people who like them. Bonus- if you are a HSS list member, tasting is free at Shafer. It is a good tour and tasting, and the Shafer family is from Hinsdale originally…

Great wine

Why would you sign up for the mailing list without ever trying it first?

Sounds foolish to me.

It takes two plus years to get onto it. I’m going to see if I can acquire a bottle of older vintage first. Maybe something from 2002-2008 and see if I like it before any actual order got placed.

Wondering if people in my area might want to do a dinner where we all bring and share a bottle of something of equal value. Hopefully each person would bring a bottle that the others have never tried. Thinking 3-4 couples dinner. I’ve never tried to do this sort of thing but I would think it would be fun.

Unfortunately the best I can do right now is either a bottle of 2008 Episode or a 2008 Chimney Rock Tomahawk. I might have to purchase something somehow.

I liken buying HSS to buying a Mercedes Benz. You may never have driven one before, but there’s a pretty good chance you’ll find it to be a solid vehicle. And, it’s universally recognized as “best in class” for luxury cars. I think Shafer HSS is similar - widely known, widely respected, and if you’re a fan of Napa cabs / cab blends, low risk that you’ll be completely disappointed. A lot different than taking a flyer on some new wine that’s just entered the market. Also, there’s no commitment to signing up for the list - just gives you the option to buy at some future point. My two cents…

Joe, not sure where you heard it takes 2 years. When I signed up in early 2013, I was immediately offered the 2008, and then the 2009 shortly thereafter. I’d be surprised if it takes you 2 years to receive an offer.

I was never on the mailing list cause I could buy individual bottles, but I found out that while I liked it, it wasn’t worth the money and sold my remaining bottles.

I stopped buying wines that I’ve never tried first, especially at that price point.

I’ve got a wine buddy who has a 3,200 bottle cellar stuffed with trophies. Mind-blowing. It goes way back in years. Tons of mags. Quantities, bins of Lafite, Petrus, Ausone, DRC, Rousseau, Screagle, Scarecrow, Harlan, etc. If he buys a wine, he buys a case and from the top vintages You name it. Of all, his favorite wine and deepest holding… Shafer Hillside Select.

I’ve never had a sip, but after looking at his cellar, I was impressed with his answer.

I love vintages prior to '94 and this was probably my favorite high-end cab. Then they started getting bigger, bolder, more syrupy and I really couldn’t differentiate from any of the other high-end cabs. I think '94 or '95 is the last vintage I bought.

Have you tried Scarecrow?

There seems to be plenty of late '80s and late '90s vintages available in the $150-$175 range.

Joe- no need to winebid or join the list without giving it a go. You can find 03-09 with the exception of the 07 for $200-$220 online using wine-searcher. My last year on the list was 07. I wasn’t sure i would buy each year and it’s almost always less via retail channels.

Anyone try the 07 ? I had one a few months ago and was really underwhelmed. It wasn’t flawed and it wasn’t bad, perhaps shut down ? Considered selling them but was not going to take a fire sale offer. It’s getting tough to go north of $100 now when Myriad, RM, Rudius, Larkmead, Forman, Seavey, and Bressler all hit the high notes for me.

My favorite run of vintages was probably the 1994-1997. I understand what you mean about the stylistic changes, but I think the alcohol and ripeness levels seemed to go up noticeably after 1997. Which reminds me I need to go back and retaste the mid-90’s vintages.

Bruce

Like most good wines, this too has become Parkerized. [stirthepothal.gif]

Unfortunately, I believe this to be true. 2001 was the last vintage that I loved. 2002 was the beginning of the end for me. 2003 and beyond are not to my liking. YMMV.

Had the 07 and 08 within the last year…nothing “Parkerized” about these wines whatsoever.