Cheap dessert wine for a reception

I’m trying to think of a cheap dessert wine to pour at a big wedding(ish) reception.

Constraints are:
(1) Has to be <$20 bottle, preferably <$15.
(2) No fortified wine.
(3) A case or two is readily available at wholesale in MA. My venue will order from pretty much any distributor in MA. Esoteric geeky stuff is unlikely to be viable.
(4) Strong preference for white.

What I’ve come up with so far: There are a handful of South African dessert Chenins in that range, but none appear to be distributed in MA. Chateau St. Michelle and Hogue make “late harvest” rieslings, and CT suggests they’re fine enough, if commercial, but both seem to be a less sweet than a true dessert wine. My old standby QPR dessert wines - Juracons and late harvest Furmint from Hungary - have ticked over $20. Doesn’t look like anything from Germany is in my range.

Any ideas?

Muscat de Beaumes de Venise

You can email chateau ste Michelle, they often have sales and their stickies become cheap, how about a mascato, like vietti?

Really concentrated natural dessert wine probably doesn’t exist at that price point. Thankfully there’s this:

Remarkably, the cheapest 750mls I can find of those in MA are $20+. I feel like there must be a cheaper Muscat somewhere, but don’t know where.

Ha! I served Vietti Moscato at my engagement party.

We blew out a bunch of this last year at under $20:

Humorous typos aside the brand name is actually Viña Santa Marina, it is 12.5% RS and imported by All Star Imports in Miami

http://www.allstarimports.net

Thinking out loud, I guess another option would be Bordelet Doux, which is pretty darn sweet at $15ish, IIRC.

Shutter home 2013 Chenin blanc. Gold medal at Long Beach competition from my panel. $6 a bottle

Something from Quady?

moscato

David, what is a “wedding-ish” reception?

Why don’t you call board member Peter Tryba at Marty’s and see what their distributor, Atlantic Imports, has to offer?

Moscato d’Asti - Saracco

It looks like Roulerie Coteaux de Layon can be had for around $10/375ml based on in retailer site, and you may be able to find Baumard Carte d’Or for around $20/750ml.

David, I had the 2010 and 2011 Elio Perrone Moscato d’Asti Clarte and loved them. The acidity made them really gulpable and cut right through the slight sweetness, a perfect summer sipper. Rare Wine Co. carried them. And the frizzante aspect makes them a perfect celebratory drink (and they’re low alcohol). I don’t think the Clarte was made in 2012 or 2013, but the Sourgal was (I haven’t had it). Give it a try. Available in both vintages in MA at $16 and under. If the Sourgal is anything like the Clarte, it’s perfect for your purposes.

ding ding ding. it’s been a few years, but I recall their “essensia” orange muscat being surprisingly decent for the price (still under $20, I think).

Unfortunately not in MA. Wine searcher shows Essensia at around $28 for a 750 and $20 for a 375. Electra, on the other hand can be found for about $13.

http://www.yankeespirits.com/sku16140.html

The Beaumes de Venise is a good idea - it’s an underappreciated wine for sure. The Washington sweets would work and maybe there’s even something from MA? Or Moscatel from Spain. If you can get Ochoa, it’s one of the best. I used to sell it and always liked it.

And then you used to be able to get orange Muscat from Australia for under $20 but that may no longer be available.

I’m curious about the late harvest Furmint though - whose was it? I’ll be in Hungary in two weeks, tasting wines, and I’m wondering who was selling it for $20.

I haven’t followed the links, but the pro version seems to show a few retailers offering it at $19-20 per .750.