VT: International Cabernet Sauvignon Day, August 30. Let's make it a Napa Cab Day here!

One of my favorite holidays to come around each year is International Cabernet Sauvignon Day. We at the Pobega household just call it Cab-Day. We usually decorate the house with Festivus lights and make all types of dried fruit cakes: Currant cakes, Boysenberry cakes, Blackberry cakes and my favorite, Cardamom & cola cake. We dress up in purple colored clothing and if I am lucky to catch my wife as she walks under a Clone 6 branch there is no telling what the outcome can be. We start cleaning the decanters mid-July; buy new stemware and replace all of my screw pulls with newer models. Hemingway, our white Maltese mix is dyed purple and the fireplace burns fresh French oak all weekend long. The party ends with a wine-fight. It usually spills over into the street and police normally called in to break it up. Last year my wife got to bail me out, this year I am aiming on turning the tables on her but making her wait at least until Wednesday. To say it’s a big day around our house is an understatement.

Let us have our own virtual tasting starting Friday night and going on to Monday. Please feel free to place all notes here and to show our solidarity with those cleaning up on the west coast, the only requirement will be that your Cab needs to be from Napa.

So have at it! I know I will! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

May join the virtual tasting if I don’t go with a white wine this weekend because of the high temperatures we are experiencing.

Awesome! in.

2009 Rudius Cabernet Sauvignon - big and bold but well balanced. Very nice wine.

I thought everyday was Napa Cab Day at the Pobega household. newhere

Long time lurking, first time posting on International Cabernet Day, which happens to be my birthday. champagne.gif

2003 Beringer Private Reserve with In-N-Out Burger for birthday lunch. Red fruits, cola, spices. Went great with the Double-Double. flirtysmile

Last night: My second to last 2011 Myriad Napa Cab. Awesome. Bright with wonderful red/black fruits with a great mouthfeel. Consistent with all the bottles before it.
2006 Double Diamond Amber Knolls Vineyard. Always well made and enjoyable. Some great notes of sassafras, cardamom and leather among a black cassis laden blanket.

The Myriad is a Pobega family favorite that just makes everyone smile.

Tonight we opened my last bottle of 2004 Vinoce Cab Sauv from Mt. Veeder. This producer deserves more attention, as they turn out nice dark fruited cabs balanced by earth, mineral, and spice notes. There’s a decent amount of oak but plenty of fruit, as well. This is still on the young side, to my palate, and should be interesting to follow over at least the next 5 years, if anyone has a supply in their cellar.

Folks - watch out for this guy. He has a very astute, consistent palate. Welcome to the wild side, my friend! [cheers.gif]

Welcome, Chris - and happy birthday!

2006 EMH black cat-
Great nose of dark berry, with some raspberry intermixed. It comes across as rather fresh - also revealing ground spices, and touches of vanilla. It’s rather focused, medium bodied, and has a smooth mouthfeel. Some red fruit peeks through on the palate but it seems slightly muted. Plenty of acid and pronounced tannins lead to a long, lingering finish. It’s delicious

Chris- welcome. I love your pairing.

• 2008 Merryvale Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/30/2014)
    Similar to previous note, fruit a little faded, so would drink go this up over the next few years. This is straightforward, not complex, and lots of better stuff out there at this price.

Posted from CellarTracker

Happy Labor Day weekend, everyone!

Joe - that completely makes my day! And my day was outstanding. My Quality Control guys at harvest/crush today will be treated to some EMH wines, and you have sealed the deal to include a couple of bottles of my 2006. Thank you for enjoying EMH today.

My mouth has been overwhelmed with Cabernet (fruit from the vine) the past couple of days - I am actually enjoying a Copain 2009 Brousseau Chardonnay.

Thanks all for the warm welcome! I tried to remain a lurker for as long as I could but I could not hold out anymore.

Just had a 2004 Hundred Acre Kayli Morgan along with other wines with dinner. Will post a quick note on it when I get a chance.

As for the pairing, I do enjoy cabs with steak, but I enjoy them even more with cheeseburgers.

Been in Boston this weekend and no Cab so far. Nebbiolo, Burg,and Bdx. Had this one earlier in the week at a client dinner. Back to Tampa tonight so Cab’s and Burgers tomorrow.

2009 Rudius Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (8/28/2014)
Took to Bones for a business dinner. Decanted about 1 hour at the restaurant. Deep expressive nose of black fruit, smoke and spice. It glides onto the palate with similiar notes of dark black cherry interwoven with smokey bbq and a nice mineral component. It’s deep and complex and the mouthfeel is silk as the tannins have softened but provide nice structure. This was one of my favorite 09’s at release and it’s really developed well. No rush to drink now but excellent with 1 hour decant. (94 pts.)

2004 Hundred Acre Kayli Morgan

Upon opening and being decanted, huge nose of gobs and gobs of dark black/blue fruit followed by sweet vanilla. Palate shows this, but with as much balance as a wine of this magnitude can possibly have. Dark berries linger on the finish with vanilla once again showing through the softest of tannins. There’s no denying this is a big wine, but still very enjoyable.

2011 Jones Family the Sisters. A little tight, reticent and bitter for how this wine typically tastes in most vintages, but pleasing nonetheless. Overall, I really dislike 2011 so far. 88 pts

2002 Spottswoode to start…contemplating a few others for later today and tomorrow.

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

I’m opening a 06 Larkmead and 97 Heitz Trailside for our BBQ.

Marshall- how was the 02 Spotts ?

Fred;
Hmmmmm. It was very nice but for me, still young. I am an “aged” cab guy and although the '02 was quite drinkable and enjoyable; Personally, I would age it for a few more years.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]