White Burg Hunter

Two single vineyard 2005s from solid producers at stupid prices. No affiliation. I am surprised these guys have them since burgundy is not their thing.

http://www.southernwines.com/blowout_specials.cfm

Thanks. Got 1 of each.

Thanks!

I guess I’ll have to drink them before declaring this with total certainty, but if they’re even roughly as good as one would hope, this could be the WB “Wine Hunter” post of all time. And white Burgs are rarely discounted steeply, relative to most categories of wine.

I went in for a mixed case. I’m wondering if I bought enough. I guess I’ll find out later.

Big tip of the hat, Ivan.

In for a mixed case too - price is right, and if I don’t like them, worst case I’ve taken care of a chunk of my office holiday gifts.

Dang, they seem to be out of the forty dollar Montrachet.

Now now Ali Baba…don’t be getting any ideas.

In for six of the Clair. If half of them are sound its an incredible deal.

What a smokin’ deal!

Damn…gone?

Anyone tried any of these? Picked up the Clair Morey, the Morey Beaune 1er and the Charpoutier Crozes. Just got them in and am wondering if I should try or hold.

MTIA

I’m waiting on cold chain delivery. Let one rip for the sake of science! (the Clair preferably as that’s what I bought!).

Also, missed that Chapoutier the first time through. Tempting.

Haven’t had that 2006 Croze in years, but it seemed to be a pretty expression with crunchy red fruit at the time. Might let it settle a bit if they were shipped to you, but I would let one rip if you picked them up yourself and they weren’t jostled on the way.

• 2005 Domaine Bruno Clair Morey St. Denis En la Rue de Vergy Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis (8/7/2014)
    OK, I opened one of these “bargain” wines tipped off by Ivan T over at the Berserkers board. P&P. Medium yellow color. On opening this had a lemon curd nose with intense lemon flavor. A dense wine, this seems to play above its village status. A different expression than Puligny but very enjoyable. A slight bitterness creeps up on finish. With air, the oak influence starts to ramp up contributing a smokey quality but enhancing the bitter finish. An enjoyable wine, no hint of premox, perhaps a couple more years will integrate the oak. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

[cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note, Mark. I am not getting my bottles until the Fall. Sounds quite good for the price paid!

On night two, the Clair Morey loosened up and the bitterness/wood influence dropped off. Seems the tension dropped down a bit also. Still a good wine and glad I picked some up.

On the other hand, the Bernard Morey Beaune Greves 1er blanc was premoxed. I have 3 left which I will check over the next couple of months. Bummer!

Well if your findings hold true I’ll be happy with my choice of taking the Clair but leaving the Morey. To me Clair is clearly a step above B. Morey.

As a new purchase, do you think the seller should stand behind the premoxed bottles? I wouldn’t normally expect to return a oxidized 2005 White Burg if I bought it in 2008, but if they’re selling it now, should it be refundable?

On the other hand, the price of these was so low, it’s hardly worth the effort to ask for a refund; maybe if you bought a lot and all of them were premoxed.

Popped another B. Morey Greves. About a 3 on the 1-10 premox scale. Drinkable but lacking.

Chris, I knew this was a bit of a gamble so I don’t feel compelled to seek redress. In all, I got 4 of the Clairs, 4 of the Crozes and 4 of these. If the shipping wasn’t so horrendous (to Hawaii), I’d feel even less concerned.

Well, a “3” is somewhat concerning. I would rather have 3 “9” level and 3 “0”! I only have the Clairs coming so we’ll see what happens.