Prestige Champagne in Vintage 2005

Hi all,

Can you help me please? Do you know what Prestige labels that will be (or has been) released in the 2005 vintage? I can tell from CT that there is no Belle Epoque in 2005. Was the vintage that horrendous in Champagne?

Thanks in advance!

Cristal

Taittinger Comtes

There are nice 05s but I only bought two I think. Shop carefully.

2005 was not a great vintage, so I wouldn’t be surprised if not too many houses declare a tete du cuvee (although it seems like Dom Perignon wants to make one every year these days!). The problem, as I understand it, was rot in the black varieties, so perhaps those prestige Champagnes that are all or primarily Chardonnay will be more successful (e.g., there are bottles of 2005 Salon aging in its cellar, although that doesn’t mean they’ll be released).

The problem was not rot in black varieties. It was rot/mold in all varieties though it seemed to hit the black grapes harder. Making matters worse, this rot/mold could have been detected by testing, tasting, smelling, and/or looking. A lot of people just plain missed the boat and allowed affected grapes to get into the wine and just a little bit could make an entire tank bad. A number of producers did catch it either while sorting, pressing, or right after fermentation and made nice wines.

Even without the rot/mold issue, 2005 was never going to be great. It is nice enough, but fairly one dimensional with upfront, forward fruit and not a lot of complexity or substance behind the scenes. The best 2005s are fruity, bright and a tad simple; great for early drinking. Above average 2005s are like a muddied and slightly blander, more forward version of a producer’s vintage wine in a better vintage like 2004. There are quite a few weird, heavy, green, kind of mushroomy 2005s too though that is just poor wine making IMO.

2005 is far less declared than 2002, 2004, 2006 and probably even years like 2003 and 2007. It was better suited to NV blends where its character could be enhanced by reserve wines. Two producers who did a really nice job in 2005 were Roederer and Rene Geoffroy. Both got rid of the crap and the entire range of each was very nice. Savart and Laherte are a couple of other winners from this year.

I’m told the 2005 Dom P was made in very small quantities compared to most releases.

That said, my favourite from 05 to date is Diebolt Vallois Fleur de Passion.

Mike

Mike,

Yeah, the D-V FdP is one tasty wine right now and a top showing for this vintage or really any vintage. I wouldn’t age it, but who cares as regardless of how it ages, I rate it as one of the best FdPs to date.

This is great, guys! Thanks a lot!

Just had the 2005 Fleur de Passion. That is indeed a wonderful Champagne and a great wine considering the vintage! rated 92-93. Quite rich but with a fine acidity to keep it balanced.

Drank the Lilbert and Peters (L’Esprit) this week, the Lilbert showed better, early mature and a rounded style for the producer. The Peters was a little hollow on the mid palate, it may fill out.

I was happy with the Taittinger Comtes Blanc de Blancs…but I think I liked the '95 more of the same wine…I’ve only been buying wines I taste from 2005. With so many great 2006’s on the market why rush??