Burg Question

We had a delicious 2010 Thibault Liger-Belair “Les Grands Chaillots” Bourgogne last night but as a Burg Noob I’m confused. This was my second bottle of this and it seemed to have improved, evolved, significantly in the 9 months since my last. Moreover, it showed quite a bit of bricking that wasn’t there before. Is this a sign of a short life span? And, very generally, how long do lower level Burgs (the only kind I can afford) last in a passive cellar(68 degrees tops in a hot summer?)

What did the cork look like?

Pristine: nice and tight, pale red on the bottom.

Daniel,
I don´t know the wine - but there are many different Bourgogne AOCs produced, from quite intense and structured to very easy going …

Thibault L-B is also a negociant, and it might be that this wine, or parts of the cuvee, have been purchased as finished wine from somewhere … so it 1st depends on the initial quality and winemaking how long it can be kept and how it will develope.

Generally a Borgogne from 2010 can develope for up a decade or longer, I once had a case of Bg 1990 from Michel Gros that was still perfect in 2005, but my (passive) cellar is 45 to 54°F … on the other hand there are easy Burgs that I won´t keep for more than 3-4 years.

It also depends on shipping and storage, while 68° (20°C) is certainly not heat damaging, the wine will evolve much quicker than at 50° …

So if it´s delicious now - and already bricking - I won´t push luck and drink it over the next 1-2 years.

This.

Since the cork was in good shape, I’m with Gerhard.

Usually their wines age quite well.

I’d be quite surprised if this wine falls apart over the next few years, esp for a 2010. this may have just been an odd bottle. I have some 2005 and 2006 of this wine, drinking well but still young and plenty left in the tank to go another 5-8 years. that being said, if it’s delicious now, drink up. That’s what bourgognes are for.

Very likely cork variability. A good Bourgogne from 2010 can probably age 15 years on an upward slope.

All very interesting replies. Thanks for all your thoughts.