Visiting Sonoma, southern suggestions

Hello all! Greetings from West Virginia!Long time lurker, dreaded member of the 3 tier system. . Any how, I have some newly CA based friends that want to visit southern Sonoma over Labor day weekend for a B-day get away, could anyone suggest a must visit destination or some place special for dinner? All suggestions appreciated.
Btw, if there are WV Berserkers give me a holler, it’s lonely out here.

Welcome aboard Chris. Start by looking at Brian’s post at the top of this forum-at this time it will be one of the first three posts. Southern is a little ambiguous as the town of Sonoma and the area around there is quite different than Santa Rosa/Petaluma.

Other thing to know is Labor Day w/e around the town of Sonoma will be a zoo. Book now for dinners. Hopefully you already have your hotel.

If you are going to be in the town of Sonoma. Open with Sparkling Wine at Domaine Carneros, setup appointments with Sojourn and either Bedrock or Ravenswood and eat at Girl and The Fig or Farmhouse.

Second on Girl and Fig. We usually stay at Sonoma Mission Inn when in area. You have to have breakfast at The Big Three Diner and have the lemon cottage cheese pancakes.

For “tradition” visit Hanzell just north of Sonoma. For just a fun visit go to Cline south west of Sonoma. Interesting mix of wine.

You indicate southern Sonoma, but I’d suggest a quick drive up to Healdsburg. A lot to see in a small area. Cabs, Zin, Rhone style reds, etc.

I agree with Joe, you should set-up a tasting at Sojourn. They have a cool little house right near the Sonoma Town square that they use for tastings. Great Pinot’s, they use Riedel stemware, the atmosphere is laid-back and comfortable, and the hospitality is top-notch.

additionally on the square:

Hawkes and Kamen for Cabernet Sauvignon
Walt Wines for Pinot Noir
Bump Wines for that “new” spot
Sigh for bubbles (Prosecco, Cava, CA Sparkling, Champagne)

I’ll chime in with another nod for Sojourn! And will also second the recommendation for the Girl and The Fig (even just sitting at the bar is fun).

There’s a really great thread that someone put together that lists everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Sonoma, but I’ve tried 4 different searches and have not been able to call it up… maybe another board member will have better luck finding it.

Hi Chris,

Send me an email if you would like to visit the Hanzell property. We would love to have you.

Thank you.

Jason
jasonj@hanzell.com

here’s the sonoma thread – sorry i missed finding it before:

Jason,

great to know you are Open for tastings, because you were on my list, but thought you were not open.
I will come up sometime soon.

Best, Joe

If they did base themselves in Town of Sonoma, they could take a day adventure over to Sebastopol(about 30 Minutes) and go to a cooperative of many companies called the Barlow. Greg Lafollette(underated) has setup a tasting room and has great Chards and Pinots. Marimar is there as well. Zazu Restaurant has now moved there as well, Very excellent. A nice drive out to the coast either before or after would be quite memorable (beautiful backcountry).

I would estimate closer to an hour - 1hr, 15m on a busy weekend. However the drive up Hwy 12 through Sonoma Valley is a beauty.

Hey Chris,

We’re just finishing up some very cool renovations at the historic Buena Vista cellars and caves in Sonoma. Let me know how I can help if you want to come by.

Cheers,
Brian Maloney

Mike, just looked at mapquest and it is 26 Miles 36 Minutes. But it might be a little longer on a busy weekend not a Buck 15 though. I would take Gravenstein Highway not 12 if it is a busy time. take Hwy 12 on the reverse back.

Great stuff guys! I caught that Sonoma post (very good btw) by Brian T. right after I posted and felt kind of silly but it’s nice to have suggestions based on personal experience. I appreciate all the responses.

It’s never 36 minutes, even at 3am. Too many traffic lights (count em 18) between Kenwood and the Hwy 12 W/B onramp in Santa Rosa. Even if you take 116 it’s still 45+minutes without traffic. I drive that route every week. Still worth the drive, and don’t miss Wind Gap and RYME-VERSE in the Barlow as well. They also have a brewery and a distillery.

Agree w/ Girl and the Fig. Nice spot.

Ravenswood, Landmark, Domaine Carneros are nice, though it’s been a few years since I’ve been. I’m also partial to Schug, but would disclose that I worked there briefly. Good people there.

Word. I commuted 5 days a week for 9 months from the heart of Sonoma to Olivet Rd and my best score was 39-ish minutes in very luck circumstances - often closer to 50 minutes. Add an extra 10 to get to the Barlow + weekender traffic that insists on driving 40 mph all the way up hwy 12, a buck 15 is not out of the question. If you are making a tasting appt, I would count on it.