California wine grape harvest has started

Bokisch Vineyards posted a photo to its Facebook page yesterday that its verdelho harvest from the Lodi area was underway. By the way, I’m pretty sure Clos Saron gets its verdelho from Bokisch.
Gideon said on his Facebook page he got grapes yesterday, the earliest in his 23 years in wine. He thinks it will be his lightest Carte Blanche yet.
No major heat spikes this year in California. Could be an interesting vintage.

Sparkling wine grapes were coming in last week and some the week before I’m pretty sure.

Turley has started harvesting for its White Coat, according to Jon Boone. This is from SF Gate today.

Thanks,
Ed

No major heat spikes is true, but part of the reason for the very early harvest is that it hasn’t really cooled down much during the nights this summer. We are normally in the 50s at night here (Sierra Foothills), but this summer its been more like 65-70 overnight.

Mumm started harvesting today for sparkling which was 2 days earlier than last year.

Heard a couple reports of sparkling wine grapes coming in this week in RRV

Couple weeks ago read a FB post from a small local winery I follow talking about moving stuff around to get ready to bottle mid-Sept. I’m thinking, “That’s ballsy. You might be otherwise occupied then.” lol

How has this impacted acid levels?

So far, it hasn’t. But I’m sure it will be an issue in the usual suspects (syrah, tempranillo for me). Must keep a close watch.

Thanks Hank. Growing grapes in Maryland where nighttime temps are normally in the 70s, I have always wondered just how much they impact acid levels. I can’t say that I have been growing acid deficient grapes but I do only have a few harvest under my belt. Yet, I have been told by many that I can’t grow quality grapes where I am at due to nighttime temps and humidity levels.

Will be interested to see whether local winemakers notice a significant difference given the cooler nights we have been having this month.

Yep, I’ll be curious to see what is up with acid levels as well. Not only tartaric but malic as well. If it continues to stay warm at night, my guess is that we will see much lower malic levels than ‘usual’, and this will definitely have an impact on a number of things . . . .

Hey, the plum wine is already fermenting in the spare fridge. Don’t know the numbers cuz don’t have a lab. :slight_smile: Added acid & tannin blindly. Hoping it’ll be sort of a OV Zin someday. lol

We will begin picking Chardonnay here at Hanzell mid next week. I believe this will be the earliest harvest in our 58 year history on the estate!

How will these cool temperatures affect acids?

Harvesting my first 2014 grapes early Monday morning. El dorado county primitivo.