TNs: Two Young Aligotes: De Moor & Chevillon

Fun Aligotes that scratch that itch for under $25.
No complaints.
The De Moor wines continue to impress me across the board.

• 2012 Alice et Olivier De Moor Bourgogne-Aligoté - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne-Aligoté (7/28/2014)
    Excellent minerality and cool crisp white fruit. Juicy green apple. It’s got lively acidity and finishes quite pure. Drink it now and be happy. Though I’m told it will go a while. Good summer sipper on a hot ATL night.
  • 2011 Domaine Robert Chevillon Bourgogne-Aligoté - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne-Aligoté (7/26/2014)
    A bit simple, but enough cut to the palate to keep things interesting. Sweet upfront, honeyed and lemony. Palate is a bit edgy, too much so, perhaps some time will round it out. Good enough drink for $20.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes, Dennis; I’ve had precious few Aligotés, ever, and never these two, but I did have a flight of three served blind to start off a wine dinner last week.

The three were could not have been more dissimilar aromatically, but were very much the same on the palate. Bruno Clavelier’s 2011 was the most aromatic of the group, with lemon and petrol strong enough to convince me it was a Riesling. A & P de Villaine’s 2011 Bouzeron was essentially mute on the nose, while Domaine Leroy’s 2010 was quite reduced, which partially blew off with airing. All three shared very bright acidity, resolute dryness, and, at this stage, limited complexity. They went reasonably well with a poached salmon dish, but these were niche wines, IMO, nothing that anyone would call crowd pleasers. Sommelier wines, if you will.

Dennis, thanks for the note on the De Moor – I like their Chablis, but never had the Aligote.

Frank, I’m quite surprised that the de Villaine showed as you indicate. How much air did you give it? I’ve found that when young they need some air to show well.

Potentially a dumb question… How do these wines compare with the better muscadet? Luneau-Pepin, Pepiere, etc. Your descriptions sound similar to muscadet with slightly different fruit profiles.

Lee,

I didn’t bring the wines but I know they were opened for a while before serving; I don’t know if they’d been double decanted, though.

There wasn’t anything wrong with de Villaine’s Bouzeron to drink, but it was just devoid of aroma, particularly compared to the Clavelier; I’m not counting the Leroy in this regard because all its aroma was of hydrogen sulfide/reduced.

Walt, after getting over thinking the Clavelier was Riesling, Muscadet was my next brilliant idea: high acidity, light body, etc.

fyi had the De Moor this past weekend, and completely agree with your note. Perfect pairing with grilled lobster

Just picked up the De Moor for consumption tomorrow night with some local Thai food. Had the 2012 Roulot Aligote over the weekend. Have yet to have a better Aligote - but I will reserve final judgement until I get my hands on a Coche Aligote.

Thanks for the coments, guys.
Walt-Similar, yes. Can’t say I’ve ever had a really great Aligote, so I think in some ways better Muscadet is better.

J-The first Aligote I ever had was Roulot and it approached being something beyond the two I posted about here. Very nice wine. Hope you like the de Moor.

Dennis - your note on the De Moor is spot on. Really enjoyed it, very fresh and easy drinking. Thanks for posting the note.

Try the De Moor Plantation 1902 Aligote from 100+ year old vines. By far the best Aligote I’ve ever had.

Cool! Thanks, J.

I’ve heard this is good stuff.

It’s fantastic, I’ve already drained two of the 2012. Wish it was easier to find. Bought a couple from Flatiron Wines in NYC.